Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Do y'all think it would be ok for a professor to give the student the option to be demoted?

I would rather that then wonder for a year or more why I wasn't getting any stripes on my "brown belt."

Better to be seen as what you are. At least have the option.

Maybe that's what happened here?
    I don't think the instructor is obligated to do anything, if the student wants to train with him, he'll do what the instructor says in regards to rank. Obviously the instructor doesn't agree with " what he is" hence the demotion. The instructor told him what he is, a purple belt.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    I don't think it was entirely necessary to video tape it and put it online. I completely understand demoting a student who doesn't truly deserve a brown belt, but it's kind of humiliating to have it broadcasted to the world.
    Agreed, videoing it is overboard. Maybe it was done as a message to the guy that promoted him to brown.

However on a side note, if it was a fake or self promotion im 100% down for it being videoed and posted. I have zero tolerance for phonies.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I can wrap my mind around it a little more if a dude transfers schools and is wayyyy off base than he should be from the standards of the new professor. But there's gotta be a huge disconnect in communication if it were to happen within one school, as in the same professor promoting then later demoting the guy. Either way I don't think it's ethical, at least not without prior consult. Just as it isn't ethical to give a guy a promotion solely because he's met minimum attendance requirements, which some schools are known to do. It works both ways. A professor doesn't necessarily have to recognize a promotion from another professor, especially in the hypothetical case that Prof. Zog alluded to earlier. Or like Eddie recognizing a guy as a brown belt even if he walks into 10P for the first time as a legit black belt. That seems alright given how unique the 10p system is, but the physical act of taking a belt away and demoting the guy caught me by surprise.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 07-31-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    I don't think it was entirely necessary to video tape it and put it online. I completely understand demoting a student who doesn't truly deserve a brown belt, but it's kind of humiliating to have it broadcasted to the world.
    100%, between this and putting the "calling out a fake black belt" video online its like we are all in a contest to see who can keep it the realest.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I wasn't speaking about this particular situation, and no I don't think it your situation warrants a demotion. However, if I gave a student specifics to work on before getting promoted, they left and were promoted by someone at a different school, and they came back and those skills still hadn't been improved I wouldn't accept that promotion in my school, and he/she would come back at the same belt that left with. Especially if I suspect the only reason they left is because I hadn't promoted them yet.
    I think this is fair.

I don't think it was necessary, but I appreciate that he did. I think it's a good discussion to have. If anything, i feel like it's more insulting to the previous school. It's like saying that their brown belts suck.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Is the link for the video still working?

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I think it got deactivated/taken down before noon today (by the time I went to BJEE to load it it was gone).

Mikael Chay

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Chay View Post
    Ty. Yeah the feel I get is it was a message to the previous school. Rather mean and humiliating in my opinion to post it. I fear these broadcast punishment type videos might become the start of a trend that could turn prospective new jiu jitsu students off from ever starting jiu jitsu if they feel its a hostile environment.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    Ty. Yeah the feel I get is it was a message to the previous school. Rather mean and humiliating in my opinion to post it. I fear these broadcast punishment type videos might become the start of a trend that could turn prospective new jiu jitsu students off from ever starting jiu jitsu if they feel its a hostile environment.
    Is it hostile? Or is it honest?

Its seems "Honesty" is starting to take a second seat to "feelings".
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 08-01-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast