Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Yeah, some dudes like Rafa and Cobrinha just refuse to tap to footlocks, like you said, you pretty much have to break it

Keenan has shown some good anti footlock/kneebar techs, someone had him in a deep kneebar and he had a nice counter

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Wasn't that fight with Tonon Aug 2nd? Why would an injury at that event cause him to pull out of ADCC two weeks later, and right after EBI? Reinjury?

Any why would he pull out of ADCC because he was frustrated by his performance in EBI? That's pretty strange sounding to me. Most guys at that level when they lose they cannot wait to get back into it and prove themselves again.

I'm sure Geo has been wearing holes in the mats training for ADCC after the result of EBI4.
    Doesn't make sense to me either, it's just what I heard.

I saw him limp out of the Five Grappling event so Tonon definitely hurt him but he was right back competing the next weekend. He's had a string of losses recently. Musumeci in Vegas in the Gi, Having lost in No gi against Tonon, and against an underdog at EBI.
    Perhaps he wasn't feeling ADCC right now.

Someone said earlier that he seems to like the Gi more. I can agree with that, his game is definitely more Gi specific.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    He had his ankle all taped up, actually Brandon in the match with Samir yesterday he was in a nasty toe hold, Joao didn't tap of course
    The taped ankle makes it sound like it's exactly what we all suspected.

He dropped out of ADCC because the guys at EBI made his ankle FUBAR, but he will continue with the IBJJF style events where nobody's slinging heelhooks.

Its amazing to me that people are trying to Knock a competitor like Joao, he competes all the time, probably more than anyone currently, in all types of events against bigger and stronger guys and people are salivating to see him have problems

It's crazy

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    It's totally not a knock against him. I think everyone admires his fighting spirit and accomplishments.

It's just that his inversion spamming style is obviously making him vulnerable to leg attacks in a reaping/heelhooking environment. People will keep pointing it out as long as there are guys denying that certain IBJJF style games don't work as well when leg attacks are not neutered.

And on the flip side when guys just compete in "sub only" tournaments where there is no disadvantage for losing position they will spam leg attacks all match

It will be interesting this ADCC to see guys like Cummings attack someone like Corbinha and Radar with his style

I really like Geo's game, want to see it against the other guys, that's why I am bummed that Rafa isnt going it this year, really wanted to see Geo and Cummings against Rafa also

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I know some people knock Miyao. I'm certainly not. I admire his warrior spirit. I do think his game is significantly less effective without the threat of points. That's what I think his real problem was. The berimbolo isn't as much of a threat when I can just concede the sweep. That's the major difference between sub only and points to me. I don't have to blow my wad keeping you from sweeping me or taking me down. You got me on my butt. Now what?

Having said that, I think that training for and competing in points tournaments is great, too. I think if you can't take 2 points when you need it, that's a weakness.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    Lol, stop, you have guys competing all the time for years and you want to throw a dude who competing in 1 EBI?

Maybe take my opinion seriously because I don't post like a fanboy and came from Shamrock submission, 10th Planet and Gi BJJ, follow IBJJF, ADCC, Copa Podio, Sub Only, etc...and don't need to justify what style I train by commenting on results of other grapplers
    Nah. It's ironic. I'm being crazy objective but you're so emotionally invested in the perceived "eliteness" of certain guys that you can't comprehend that some guys may be on that level without competing in BJJ. Im so far from knocking Miyao. Your inability to see that shows you have worse bias than me. I'll take your opinion seriously when you no longer deify certain players.

Lol at being objective, this from a guy who makes sad posts that he has to put a gi on to train bjj, yeah, you're not biased

Anyway, taking what I said than trying to use it as yout argument is weak, maybe you should post in a gi to tighten up your posting game

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    By the way, holler at Tonon. Ask him how Weidman does in their rolls. And then research how many adcc or IBJJF black belt mundial medals he has. Once you know that, you can see how some guys can have elite skills without having to play in the elite leagues.

Look up the medalists for the 2014 Ibjjf no gi worlds. The only "elite" guys there are the ones who got gold. EBI had more "names" than the no gi mundials.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast