Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    Romulo has been working his wrestling with Harmon for a WHILE and Chsiev was making him look silly standing.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    Look at Rustam Chsiev to see how good wrestling looks in BJJ.
    Good advice and thank you for the suggestion. He does have good wrestling in BJJ. Also, why do I want to wear purple all of a sudden?

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Good wrestling is all about the shot, reshot, level change, reshot etc. ad infinitum. Wrestlers finish the take down on their sixth attempt, not the first. This many reshots and level changes are just really dangerous in BJJ.

Sure Rustam Chsiev looks like he's doing pretty well with his wrestling, but how does it work against the actual elite? I think it's like Eddie Cummings with leg locks. If you have elite level wrestling, ok, you can make it work against most guys. At the elite level though it's just not effective.

Otavia Sousa takes Kron Gracie to overtime by completely stalling out the whole match on his feet just so he can attempt to beat Kron on takedowns. Off of Otavia's first takedown attempt Kron immediately picks up the guillotine and subs him. This kind of thing just messes up good wrestling. You have to be able to play around. Fake, fake, fake, shot, reshot, level change etc. You can't do that when you have a monster like Kron able to suck up a guillotine out of the slightest mistake.

Wrestling is about aggression. Hesitance ruins good wrestling.

The most effective wrestling in BJJ at the elite levels would be Marcelo's in my opinion. He has honed in on a very simple and very consistent takedown for himself. Armdrag to the single leg. There's no first shot, second shot, level change, fake etc. It's simple and consistent.

That's what I see at least. And it's what I feel from attempting wrestling other BJJ guys as I wrestled for 8 or so years before BJJ and now use practically none of it. I use to think these guys are terrible at wrestling, now I just think the key elements to good wrestling are just too dangerous to use in BJJ.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    Good wrestling is all about the shot, reshot, level change, reshot etc. ad infinitum. Wrestlers finish the take down on their sixth attempt, not the first. This many reshots and level changes are just really dangerous in BJJ.

Sure Rustam Chsiev looks like he's doing pretty well with his wrestling, but how does it work against the actual elite? I think it's like Eddie Cummings with leg locks. If you have elite level wrestling, ok, you can make it work against most guys. At the elite level though it's just not effective.

Otavia Sousa takes Kron Gracie to overtime by completely stalling out the whole match on his feet just so he can attempt to beat Kron on takedowns. Off of Otavia's first takedown attempt Kron immediately picks up the guillotine and subs him. This kind of thing just messes up good wrestling. You have to be able to play around. Fake, fake, fake, shot, reshot, level change etc. You can't do that when you have a monster like Kron able to suck up a guillotine out of the slightest mistake.

Wrestling is about aggression. Hesitance ruins good wrestling.

The most effective wrestling in BJJ at the elite levels would be Marcelo's in my opinion. He has honed in on a very simple and very consistent takedown for himself. Armdrag to the single leg. There's no first shot, second shot, level change, fake etc. It's simple and consistent.

That's what I see at least. And it's what I feel from attempting wrestling other BJJ guys as I wrestled for 8 or so years before BJJ and now use practically none of it. I use to think these guys are terrible at wrestling, now I just think the key elements to good wrestling are just too dangerous to use in BJJ.
    Basically, this is a different sport and you have to play it differently. "Wrestling" as most people thing of it, isn't getting it done consistently at the high levels of grappling. But then again, very few things are working consistently at that level. That said, I feel like you have the right idea with it needing to be basically another art of takedowns entirely. Like GSP could take down everyone in MMA but people with arguably better "wrestling" struggled to get anywhere near the same results.

I also would like to see some rule tweaks in ADCC to create more exiting matches, but I doubt it will happen. That said, Cummings made 20k at EBI and 1st at ADCC would be worth only 10k to him.... with only 1.4k added if you got match of the night too. So since prestige usually follows the cash, we might have the much more exiting EBI's to look forward to in the future as THE prestige tournament out there.

Array

School
    10th planet HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Basically, this is a different sport and you have to play it differently. "Wrestling" as most people thing of it, isn't getting it done consistently at the high levels of grappling. But then again, very few things are working consistently at that level. That said, I feel like you have the right idea with it needing to be basically another art of takedowns entirely. Like GSP could take down everyone in MMA but people with arguably better "wrestling" struggled to get anywhere near the same results.

I also would like to see some rule tweaks in ADCC to create more exiting matches, but I doubt it will happen. That said, Cummings made 20k at EBI and 1st at ADCC would be worth only 10k to him.... with only 1.4k added if you got match of the night too. So since prestige usually follows the cash, we might have the much more exiting EBI's to look forward to in the future as THE prestige tournament out there.
    Spot on!

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    In Sub Grappling... Good wrestling is about the set up and hand fighting. Yes, being able to Chain Wrestle is key inside the wrestling arena.

In Sub Grappling is posture, position, hand fighting and set ups to get that one attack and finish it.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baldwin View Post
    In Sub Grappling... Good wrestling is about the set up and hand fighting. Yes, being able to Chain Wrestle is key inside the wrestling arena.

In Sub Grappling is posture, position, hand fighting and set ups to get that one attack and finish it.
    I agree with this. In wrestling, you are way less likely to get pinned while chain wrestling that submitted in jiu jitsu. So, wrestlers that have adapted well to bjj know when to bail out and don't over extend themselves chasing 2 at the risk of being submitted and losing the match.

I've seen lots of very good wrestlers struggle in BJJ because, for whatever reason, they can't let go of that determination to finish the takedown with chain wrestling, and that often leads them deep into a trap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12