Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    https://youtu.be/JLjGDnDUD2I

Is this Frank Shamrock or Ryan Hall? I think Frank was setting up a berimbolo also

What's funny, is back in the day (I trained with Frank for years), is that the BJJ guy usually said Franks game was,solid, he lacked position'ing, passing, etc...now with the sub only format the game looks way more like Franks

I think even Eddie took a shot or 2 at Franks ground game back in the day on the UG, No Gi is looking more and more like how Frank taught and moved all the time

Wasn't solid

Can't edit

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    Wasn't solid

Can't edit
    You should pay the $5/month and gain access to the MTS archives. You'd be able to edit as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Rob, those videos are gold. Had never seen either of those before. Very cool. That heel hook by Ken was ultra nasty.

Good find, dude. Thanks for posting.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

https://youtu.be/JLjGDnDUD2I

Is this Frank Shamrock or Ryan Hall? I think Frank was setting up a berimbolo also

What's funny, is back in the day (I trained with Frank for years), is that the BJJ guy usually said Franks game was,solid, he lacked position'ing, passing, etc...now with the sub only format the game looks way more like Franks

I think even Eddie took a shot or 2 at Franks ground game back in the day on the UG, No Gi is looking more and more like how Frank taught and moved all the time
    This is really spot on. Modern no-gi in sub only formats is really starting to look like a lot of those old guys like Frank in that Henderson match where they're not really trying to set up conventional positions before submissions. They're either looking straight for the submission or for a form of control (like an ashi, vice grip on the head, kimura grip) or some type of grip on the head or a limb where they can work themselves into a position to finish.

That's not really a new thing for no-gi. This is the intro to Robert Drysdale's 2007 no-gi 6 dvd set. He covered lots of foot locks on there including heel hooks, and had an entire disc on it. This is the intro to that dvd. Notice what he says about foot locks and guillotines, darces, back attacks, and just going for subs. This was almost 10 years ago.

Embedded for you.

An ouch. That's terrifying. The sounds that guy makes are gut wrenching.

Thanks Mike for the embed, if you can embed the Frank vs Hendo one

Yep, Frank was all about leg control, hammerlock control (kimura's), head control (guillotines/front chokes, etc...) rolling through, and elevating from butterfly to sweep or get to the leg attacks

Thanks Mike for the embed, if you can embed the Frank vs Hendo one

Yep, Frank was all about leg control, hammerlock control (kimura's), head control (guillotines/front chokes, etc...) rolling through, and elevating from butterfly to sweep or get to the leg attacks
    Done

Also I know you follow gi jiu jitsu as well. So I don't want to take things too far out there, but I think in a way this idea of the traditional position over submission is going away a bit in the gi as well. At least for right now. I know that no one here cares about the gi but if you want to PM me I'd be more than happy to talk about it. The basic idea is the same.

Overall I think it's a good thing that the word position in "position over submission" is starting to take on a broader meaning. It used to be seen heavily as the mount or the back for example. But now I think many people would say that a kimura grip is a dominant position. Same goes for grapevined legs for the truck, the seatbelt, and lots of other things. I would even say that good position is just an idea. butterfly guard with a 2-on-1 is a dominant position if you have them out of position. Too many people hear "position over submission" and limit it into thinking they need to be passed the guard with some type of pin or control.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast