Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant

Ghost Escape into Sprawl Control

Hello all,
    I was drilling ghost escapes into sprawl control last night and my training partner asked "why do you ""Hike the football"" after ghosting? It seems you're able to keep more downward pressure if you stay completely sprawled out with the legs flared back and hips down." I told him that I didn't know the answer to that and that my guess is the "hike the football" position offers more submission opportunities.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Sprawling out is for control, keeping the hips low so its difficult for the opponent to get underneath them to finish a double or single leg. Coming back to your knees is so you can have more mobility when you attack submissions or transitions to the back or truck, etc.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Sprawling 100% committed with the top of your feet against the mat (laces down) or even with your feet and shins lifted off the mat is great initially for control and to really keep them from being able to drive through, or find another way to change angles or get under your weight.

Once you have good control and you've totally stuffed the shot at that point it can be smart to come to your knees for all the tons of attacks you can go for from the front headlock/sprawl.