Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct

Any advice on mindset while rolling after class? Honestly, I'm so new and just tell the person I'm rolling with that I'm new, then say something stupid like, "Please don't kill me too hard." It seems like some people I roll with go 100 and other people try to control me as much as possible while being efficient with their movement and breathing. I'd rather be the latter, but I get lost in positions still and try to improvise to the best of my ability. I have very little ego here, I tap when I know I'm in a bad spot and I'm smart enough to know when I'm in a bad spot, but I guess my question, or reason for starting this thread is what should be my mindset in class? How do I deal with someone that is not on the same frequency? And what should I be trying to accomplish as a beginner, rolling with people bigger, stronger, and that have more experience than me?

I'm game, I like to hustle, and I want to learn. I am a scientist and want to approach the system like I do the method so mindset going into crucial learning experience is essential to my future development.

Array

School
    10th Planet Apple Valley
    My two cents: Were I in your shoes, I would try to keep in mind that I'm new, and that the first few months starting off in grappling is pretty much simply trying to survive. Work on your defense; keeping hands from getting around your neck, not over-extending your arms, things of that nature. I would hope your partners aren't trying to tear off limbs and such.

FWIW, when rolling with new people I tend to hypervigilant about not getting elbowed/kneed to the face by spazzy white belts, and after that working on sweeps or positional changes rather than tapping them out over and over again. People who feel they should put a newbie "in their place" are in need of a serious ego check. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Edmonds
    Look for people who roll smoother and use more technique as opposed to relying upon strength. The more you roll, the more you'll find those partners. When I first started, there was a blue belt who never submitted me and just held the submission without actually finishing it, allowing me to find a way out. He was really beneficial in the evolution of my game. I recommend you find someone similar and your game will grow vastly.

Marc, thank you for your advice! I understand there are mountains to climb and I'm learning to walk. I've yet to come across someone at tenth planet that has "put me in my place" as it were. Maybe someone was trying and I have no pride and I'm shameless so I didn't notice, but I have no qualms about tapping and understand it's part of the process. I just want to learn as efficiently as possible.

Bryan, that's what's up. I think I found that guy tonight at HQ and will look for him in the future. That seems like an efficient way to learn for both parties, learning different reactions to putting people in bad spots for the dominant position and learning to escape for the weak position.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Also, as a very new practitioner, you may feel like guys are going 100% on you, even when they're not. That happens oftentimes. Your body will toughen up before you know it.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Open Mat

Array

School
    Open Mat
    When i first asked that question they told me... " put your finger in his bum and you will get that party started"

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Welcome all rolls. If you're a scientist, then take a scientific approach. Absorb all data. Roll with the flow rollers. Roll with the hard rollers. Roll with the women. Roll with big guys. Roll with small guys. Rolling isn't all about winning. Of course your goal is to get the tap, but more than anything, it's not about winning. It's about learning. I've learned a lot from rolling with small guys and big guys and fast guys and slow guys young guys and old guys. LOL. I sound like Dr. Seuss. But you get the point, I hope.

When I first started, I would let guys tap me just so I had an idea of how it worked. I would let myself get in bad positions so I could learn how to get out. Just look to learn from every roll and you'll be just fine. Also, do what your instructor teaches. That's the best recipe for success.

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon/Ronin
    I agree

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon/Ronin
    Most days I feel like all I am is a grappling dummy for my partners to beat up on. Because they have trained me hard and rolled hard with me since the beginning. They cut me no slack. At the same time they teach me moves and make me work for them. They don't give me anything, I have to take it. I've been rolling for 6 months and I can defend myself against my partners who have been doing it for 6 years. Can I tap them? rarely, but its happened. As for mindset, I go in with a submissive attitude and no ego and open to learn anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast