Firas Zahabi Video on which style of jiu jitsu is the best....EBI 4 the win

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I like Zahabi. I also understand where he's coming from where faster isn't always better, but I think its still the best tie breaker possible that has yet been suggested that I'm aware of. I'm going to disagree big time about the judges though. I have competed at events like this MANY times and was even asked to judge once at one of these sub only with judges events, and there is a bunch of problems with them.

The obvious one is how subjective they are. They are basically a points tournament but with no one knowing what exactly the points are for (like the MMA system tons of people complain about)

But lets say the judges are just amazing.. The biggest problem that happens then, is ex: "Joe Smoe has passed your guard. Its early on in the match but thats the only relevant thing to happen so far. Joe know no matter the judge, how can you give it to a guy that got nothing done and was under side control the whole time? So Joe does not try to do anything else, that would be way to risky and he really wants to win. Joe holds you the whole time not even seriously trying anything else and wins."

Much respect to Zahabi, the guy is light years ahead of most others in the grappling community.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    I like Zahabi. I also understand where he's coming from where faster isn't always better, but I think its still the best tie breaker possible that has yet been suggested that I'm aware of. I'm going to disagree big time about the judges though. I have competed at events like this MANY times and was even asked to judge once at one of these sub only with judges events, and there is a bunch of problems with them.

The obvious one is how subjective they are. They are basically a points tournament but with no one knowing what exactly the points are for (like the MMA system tons of people complain about)

But lets say the judges are just amazing.. The biggest problem that happens then, is ex: "Joe Smoe has passed your guard. Its early on in the match but thats the only relevant thing to happen so far. Joe know no matter the judge, how can you give it to a guy that got nothing done and was under side control the whole time? So Joe does not try to do anything else, that would be way to risky and he really wants to win. Joe holds you the whole time not even seriously trying anything else and wins."

Much respect to Zahabi, the guy is light years ahead of most others in the grappling community.
    What is your response to the argument that the EBI OT is unfair to grapplers with strong top games because it unjustly grants a dominant position to a guard player who would not otherwise be able to get there? To me, that will always be the core flaw with EBI OT, along with what Zahabi suggested. I think it's a good solution to keeping a televised tournament moving while maintaining an audience-friendly pace, but if you're thinking in a purely sporting sense then I'm not sure.

No offense but just because someone has great top game doesn't mean that they are great on someones back. Also, even the greatest guard players get their backs taken.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Guillotine View Post
    What is your response to the argument that the EBI OT is unfair to grapplers with strong top games because it unjustly grants a dominant position to a guard player who would not otherwise be able to get there? To me, that will always be the core flaw with EBI OT, along with what Zahabi suggested. I think it's a good solution to keeping a televised tournament moving while maintaining an audience-friendly pace, but if you're thinking in a purely sporting sense then I'm not sure.
    I got you. Eddie's Philosophy was let's determine the Winner of a sub only competition with submition skills instead of wrestling (overtime takedown point tiebreaker). Yes, he picked a certain area and made skill in that area matter more for over time. It's the back and an arm bar which are top finish positions for allot of guard plays and you could expect the guys who are best at finishing from those spots to be the guys who get them allot rolling. You get good at what you do. But regardless, it's at least just as fair as making a JiuJitsu match tie breaker by wrestling with a wrestler who could never sub the guy or even use the position he earned afterwards normally win. You have to pick the area and the scorring system based on what you want to see, and I want to see what we are getting from EBI