Thread: Lockdown in MMA

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

Lockdown in MMA

Why does almost no one use a lockdown in MMA? I understand not everyone wanting to be Rubber Guard masters, but nearly every fight that goes to the ground has a guy on top if half-guard with the guy on the bottom doing nothing with his legs by stopping the pass with that traditional half style (triangled legs on the outside)

It started out annoying to watch but these days it's really driving me crazy. I'm almost to the point where I hate seeing fights go to the ground cause one guy is just getting his face bashed in while in some jankey-ass-half-guard.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is this just a matter of guys not being trained by the right people?

Array

School
    Husaria Naas
    You're not alone on this feeling bro. I feel exact same way. The one that annoys me the most is, I see some MMA fighters with very good leg dexterity and flexible hips getting their faces smashed while having full guard. Can't they just learn freaking rubber guard? At least to hold the person tight until the ref stands it up. So so getting to me....

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    It requires considerable investment to get the reflexes to defeat a guy with a strong whizzer and some knowledge. It is not merely the knowledge of technique, but the trouble-shooting aspects, the bailout plans, the plan B's (literally), etc. A transient knowledge of the lockdown alone would have saved Sage Northcutt from getting choked that last time. It's bailed me out of a fair share of arm triangles. But in regards to your question, it's not that you're missing anything. Being on the bottom of the fight on it's own means you're losing the fight. Lockdown means that the opponent got on top, is laying punches in, thus requiring considerable confidence from considerable investment in the lockdown to actually catch guys at the highest level of mixed martial arts combat. Now withOUT the right people around them, it would seem that it would take a backseat to takedowns and striking for most guys that are training for the UFC. So to answer your question, it's a matter of time and where the fighters are putting their time. This can be a combination of factors. But ultimately it boils down to the fact that the confidence to pull it off at that level is exclusive to only the true heads. We will see it happen soon, and we will know the guy.

Halfguard is just a shitty place to be in MMA. People are either going to posture up and punch the shit out of you, or they are going to get the underhook and Crossface, pass, and then Ground and Pound from Side Control. Once they get to Side Control its basically over.

It's also going to take considerable time to get a good Halfguard for MMA, time that could be spent working Takedowns, Takedown Defense, and Striking- all the places where they were beat that lead them to the Halfguard in the first place. It's a matter of Fix the actual problem that lead you there (their Striking or Takedown Defence) instead of ignoring the actual problem and getting good at the bad position.

Well, I don't think I would use 'lockdown halfguard' in an MMA bout. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but you'd really have to be a master at clinching and constantly threatening his base so he'd post his hand to avoid punches. If I'm using any guard in MMA it's butterfly all the way! Because I'm clinching and constantly threatening his base, that should keep his hands busy while I work my magic.

I have seen a few of the guys and gals from ATT Coconut Creek using it occasionally. Brad Pickett comes to mind. ATT is very open to 10P and diversification on the mat. It's refreshing to see from veteran brazilian coaches/players.

My struggle is seeing someone with one hook in, halfway on the back while opponent is turtled up against the cage. Grab that far foot son, fall back and TRUCK THE WORLD

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Strikes have a lot to do with it. So you got your lock down in and an under hook, you're gonna have to defend with the other arm. Not to mention, a lot of people are using the Capoeira Pass now, which kind of opens up more strikes. I admit it is frustrating to watch mma fights but these are men and women who have to spread their training over multiple disciplines, day jobs, and family life. For us, we get to enjoy the luxury of jiu jitsu.

Array

School
    Husaria Naas
    Well, the purpose of whipping up to your elbow, where you push your opponent by the hips and raise their leg is to create space for you to move, and if they already posture up to create that space so they can punch, it means they have given you the space to move on to your elbow without you pushing and you can get to dog fight and continue from there isn't it? And if you always anticipate the capoeira pass, you can capitalize on that and do the capoeira sweep.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Ladi, it depends on the opponent. Some guys may not posture up, how tight is their wizzer, sweat, punching power, chin, thinking when being struck... There are tons of factors. Trust me, I'm 10P4L (since 2006). My point was, we can't look at MMA and judge because we're not seeing our techniques. MMA is just a different animal. Personally I'd like to see it. I'd also like to see more Marcelotines, Dead Orchards, and Vaporizors... I think Craig is going on a journey that a lot of us went on. I'll watch EBI over UFC any day of the week. The only times I watch UFC are when jiu jitsu fighters are on the card. Jacare, Werdum, ect.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Anderson Silva uses the lockdown all the time. Take a look at his matches - just about every time he's put on his back, that's the first thing he looks for to keep himself safe. I guess advanced lockdown techniques (where you're not tying guys' arms up) will take quite a bit more work to get right, since they're pretty safe to do in jiujitsu - but can be pretty dangerous when someone has the option to smash you in the face with punches and elbows.

And if you rewind the clock even further, Maurice Smith stunned the world when he used the lockdown to negate Mark Coleman after he was taken down (Back in the day, if Mark Coleman put anyone on his back - it was a guaranteed violent ending happening in the next 10 seconds).