Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai

Rubber Guard - NY - Fist into Spine and Lower Back

Hey Guys,

I know this seems pretty basic but I thought I would ask the Fam anyway... So right now I'm training in Shanghai at several mma/bjj gyms all over the city... and surprise surprise a guy asked one of the coaches....

"how do I get out of his Rubber Guard?"

So he showed a quick way to break out of MC... which yeah, isnt that hard to be fair... but he asked a follow up about when I have him in a solid NY.

So the coach said that while this solution wont work in MMA because of the padding on the gloves... in grappling it was fine... he made his hand into a fist and put his knuckles directly into me lower back and spine.

While this certainly isnt a tap... and 90% of the time I think I could just tough it out... it does give off some pretty substantial pain... I didnt feel it that much during roll.. but for the next few days the muscles down there were pretty sore and felt generally uncomfortable.

I don't really see any solutions other than just keeping the guy busy up stairs and not giving him time to think about countering like this... make him too busy worrying about defending himself... but I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had some insights to share.

Thanks guys

Happy training

Tyler

The fist to the spine is an old school move. I first learned it from Rigan Machado. Definitely effective in the right situation.
    IG - @TLAR13

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Casselman View Post
    Hey Guys,

I know this seems pretty basic but I thought I would ask the Fam anyway... So right now I'm training in Shanghai at several mma/bjj gyms all over the city... and surprise surprise a guy asked one of the coaches....

"how do I get out of his Rubber Guard?"

So he showed a quick way to break out of MC... which yeah, isnt that hard to be fair... but he asked a follow up about when I have him in a solid NY.

So the coach said that while this solution wont work in MMA because of the padding on the gloves... in grappling it was fine... he made his hand into a fist and put his knuckles directly into me lower back and spine.

While this certainly isnt a tap... and 90% of the time I think I could just tough it out... it does give off some pretty substantial pain... I didnt feel it that much during roll.. but for the next few days the muscles down there were pretty sore and felt generally uncomfortable.

I don't really see any solutions other than just keeping the guy busy up stairs and not giving him time to think about countering like this... make him too busy worrying about defending himself... but I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had some insights to share.

Thanks guys

Happy training

Tyler
    Are you talking about the Rubber Stamp?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Yup, sounds like the rubber stamp
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    If you are talking about the rubber stamp then the muddy waters path is an option. Check out MTS 58 starting at 26:40 in. It's hard to say what other paths you could use with out seeing the position you're talking about.

Array

School
    Absolute MMA Shanghai
    Thanks guys,

If I figure anything out I'll put it up as well

Array

School
    10th planet Omaha
    Thanks fam for the video!!!