Array

School
    Isle of Wight BJJ (Team Mill Hill)

Jersey/3/4 rubber guard troubleshoot

Hey all.
    Any way to stop someone backing out of Jersey? (they often manage to wedge their knee on the same side as their trapped arm and back out)
    Since I'm missing the leg curl into the back I have in full rubber guard.

Thanking you

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    What's worked best for me in a situation like that is to get onto the hip of the leg that is now trapped in NJ. If you stay flat on your back it seems to make it a lot easier for them to pull out. However, if you're on your hip it changes the angle of your pressure and control so that they shouldn't be able to pull out directly backwards or wedge a knee in there. Sometimes they will go with the angle you've created and just spin into the omoplata, so be ready for that in case they're one of those guys who wants to jump up and over you for the pass to top side.

Here's a video by BMac showing some very good options from a similar situation.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Sounds like you need to work on your squeeze a little bit, too. He shouldn't be able to simply back out without throwing himself into some potential trouble. If you can make a video of what your issue is, we may be able to offer some more in depth help.
    Last edited by Brandon Mccaghren; 08-28-2016 at 06:54 AM.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    NJ is a position you never want to stay in. You gotta either clear the neck and immediately get into a Gogo clinch, or get into meat hook and fight for a triangle, if the triangle ain't there, blast right into a Gogo clinch from there
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    I personally use hindu for this. It's why I came up with it actually. Too many people would just defend my RG by turning out and giving up the omoplata angle (which is pretty hard to get anything more than a sweep from), so I started playing with options to keep them from turning out. That brought me to gunshow and hindu although I no longer use gunshow outside of full guard (knee danger issues).

If you have a good meat hook you run into two problems. One is they beat you to the punch and they are going to be able to pass through it. Two is you beat them to the punch, but they recognize this so they back out and give the omoplata angle up.

The other thing I do a lot with NJ is I do not zombie the arm anymore. If I'm in NJ and they start turning out on me, without their arm zombie'd I now have an easy back take or truck entry (switch your carnie leg to the other leg and there's your truck). If you don't zombie their arm, they can't turn out on you, it will just give up their back. They have to instead pull their shoulder out. So you have to focus on having a good lock on their shoulder. This is another part of RG that is super important and few are focused on. Goal number 1 is to have a firm lock on their shoulder.

Your last option is just to take it back to full guard. They can have this option blocked sometimes though if they are using their far elbow to block that leg out.
    Last edited by Ben Eddy; 08-27-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    Thank you Eddie and all for your detailed answers, much appreciated.
    Gonna be hammering the Gogo clinches.
    And I think Brandon's right that I need more squeeze, as it's the super strong feather and light weights that manage to back out, never the big guys.
    Thanks Charles, am learning that angles are everything in the guard game.
    Gonna start looking at Hindu control as well, haven't yet, looks awesome. And will be keeping eye for potential back and truck takes.
    I have been finding that gripping the far tricep in NJ has been helping against turning away, Boogey showed it at a seminar, changed things.

Array

School
    Just wanted to add, I'm finding Hindu control and hindulotine really awesome. Thank you

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    When I'm fully recovered from my back surgery I'm gonna master the hindulotine. I've been stretching more than ever lately
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie bravo View Post
    when i'm fully recovered from my back surgery i'm gonna master the hindulotine. I've been stretching more than ever lately
    yes! This ^^^