Thread: Taekwon Do

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

Taekwon Do

People need to look into TKD more. The kicks are incredible but the footwork, distance control, timing and most importantly counter kicking ( which I really haven't seen in MMA ) are yet to enter the octagon.

Array

School
    Tkd for muay thai.

Array

School

As a martial art that for the most part focuses on kicking it shouldn't be a surprise that it's that effective.

Bruce Lee's introduction to kicks, I'd assume, was Wing Chun. Most people seem to forget or ignore that Wing Chun has basic kicks too, even though it's true of course that the main focus is on the punches. Having had that basic introduction to kicks however wasn't unimportant, it opened up a path.

I'm not sure what he has trained inbetween to further develop his kicks, but it's known that at some point he has started training with TKD grandmaster Jhoon Goo Rhee. Bruce helped him with non-telegraphic punches while he in return helped Bruce perfect his kicks, especially the side kick.

TKD has probably the best side kick, kind of how Muay Thai has the best leg kicks. And you're right about the footwork, it's good. I'd compare it to Stephen Thompson's karate footwork, it's pretty similar.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmarkov View Post
    As a martial art that for the most part focuses on kicking it shouldn't be a surprise that it's that effective.

Bruce Lee's introduction to kicks, I'd assume, was Wing Chun. Most people seem to forget or ignore that Wing Chun has basic kicks too, even though it's true of course that the main focus is on the punches. Having had that basic introduction to kicks however wasn't unimportant, it opened up a path.

I'm not sure what he has trained inbetween to further develop his kicks, but it's known that at some point he has started training with TKD grandmaster Jhoon Goo Rhee. Bruce helped him with non-telegraphic punches while he in return helped Bruce perfect his kicks, especially the side kick.

TKD has probably the best side kick, kind of how Muay Thai has the best leg kicks. And you're right about the footwork, it's good. I'd compare it to Stephen Thompson's karate footwork, it's pretty similar.
    I love Bruce Lee. I read the Tao many times when I was a kid but it wasn't until I trained with U.S. TKD legend Han Won Lee that I learned how to put the principles into practice. Wonder Boy is great and his footwork is good but it still not quite what the TKD guys do.

Array

School
    Unfortunately, you can't go to any McDojo to learn elite level TKD. This is was high level training looks like with 3 Time U.S. Olympian Juan Moreno.