Interested in learning Jiu Jitsu - few questions

Hello,

Let me start by saying that I have no experience in martial arts and my body is not flexible.

My questions are:

Would it be wise to join a 10th planet gym as a white belt given that i have no martial arts experience?

Will my flexibility hinder my ability to learn?

I would appreciate any input on my situation

thank you,

Jonathan

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by jonM View Post
    Hello,

Let me start by saying that I have no experience in martial arts and my body is not flexible.

My questions are:

Would it be wise to join a 10th planet gym as a white belt given that i have no martial arts experience?

Will my flexibility hinder my ability to learn?

I would appreciate any input on my situation

thank you,

Jonathan
    Of course you should join, no experience required!

No, there are only a select few transitions that require an achievable level of flexibility. Your flexibility will come with time just be diligent and consistent with your stretching an you will become more flexible.

Happy Training!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Grove City BJJ Academy
    Hey Man, just wanted to give you my advice on this. I just this past week hit my one year anniversary of starting training; I started at 280lbs. with no flexibility, no cardio, and no experience other than getting a yellow stripe on my white belt in TKD when I was like 6. I'm down to 235lbs, I have some pretty decent flexibility for a guy my size and am getting more flexible as I go (Keep the mindset that stretching is training), and I just recently completed a 100 round challenge this past July which was 100 5 minute rounds that had to be completed in 24 hours. That's not even mentioning the new friends that are like family to me.

My only regret with training is that I waited 2 months to start because I was nervous. So seriously man, just start. It's the best decision you'll ever make.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I started at 250 pounds, within a year I got down to 180. My flexibility, diet, and social skills have all jumped several levels since training. Our school had a 52 year old man start jiu jitsu with absolutely no martial arts experience, by 63 he got his black belt. He's 68 now and one of the highest level dudes we have. No one can take it easy on him or else they get smashed. Jiu jitsu is for everyone bro. Everyone starts from somewhere, we all start at white belt. Best advice is to be open-minded, buy into what they're teaching you, and stay with the journey. After about 2 years, the fun-factor takes an exponential leap when you actually understand the game. That's about the period of time that Jean Jacques Machado said it takes for someone to know what they're doing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Absolutely!!! Prior experience, most of the time, is a negative, due to bad habits. Flexibility comes with time and reps. You're an empty cup, so you'd probably progress pretty well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    I began training traditional Gi BJJ overweight and with serious injures. With anything the best time to begin training is now, you learn and get better as you go. The best way to learn how to ride a bike is by...riding bikes, get it?

Flexibility and strenght training will come from class but it is also something you can work on your own time, the beautiful thing about stretching and yoga type movements is you dont need much to perform them. If you have youtube you can find out how to stretch every muscle fiber in your body and follow along.

Go train

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Don't start 10p until you are at 6% body fat, and get certified in contortionism as well :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie