Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    That's an intersting opinion. Why does it matter who goes on offense first? Let's say Eddie went first. He still has to submit Geo as fast as possible, or risk losing. If youre confident in your escapes, it may be a good strategy to defend first.
    If the person who goes first submits (as we saw), the next person has to submit also. Now its very arguable that this would provide somewhat of an advantage in that the person who goes second, in saying that they would then know how long they have to submit the person, but in that situation, the same goes for both. Lets say (hypothetically) that Geo subbed Eddie in 20 seconds, sure Eddie knows that he now has to sub Geo in under 20 seconds, but Geo also knows how long he has to escape or defend.

Not to mention the possible mindset issues.. With the big bucks on the line, can you imagine the pressure of getting subbed after pretty much dominating regulation time. "Ok, Geo subbed me in 2 minutes (or whatever it was), now I have 2 minutes to sub this guy, or I would lose a match that in most other formats, I would have won".

Pretty much what my opinion is based around is on how it is determined how the pace of the fight is "AWARDED" (if you will) come the over time rounds. Eddie Cummings was in an offensive position most of the fight, and was even in an offensive position come the end of regulation time (if my memory serves me correctly). Yet Geo, is allowed to set the pace of the overtime rounds because a coin said so... My argument isn't necessarily about who is on offense first, but who gets to attempt to dictate the pace of the OT rounds. If Eddie had CHOSEN to defend first, that would be a completely different story. The way I see it though, the pace of the match was taken from Eddie, and AWARDED to Geo, which doesn't really seem right.

Just my opinion.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith D View Post
    If the person who goes first submits (as we saw), the next person has to submit also. Now its very arguable that this would provide somewhat of an advantage in that the person who goes second, in saying that they would then know how long they have to submit the person, but in that situation, the same goes for both. Lets say (hypothetically) that Geo subbed Eddie in 20 seconds, sure Eddie knows that he now has to sub Geo in under 20 seconds, but Geo also knows how long he has to escape or defend.
    Ok, so no advantage there.

Not to mention the possible mindset issues.. With the big bucks on the line, can you imagine the pressure of getting subbed after pretty much dominating regulation time. "Ok, Geo subbed me in 2 minutes (or whatever it was), now I have 2 minutes to sub this guy, or I would lose a match that in most other formats, I would have won".
    That is an issue with competitive mindset, not the ruleset.

Pretty much what my opinion is based around is on how it is determined how the pace of the fight is "AWARDED" (if you will) come the over time rounds. Eddie Cummings was in an offensive position most of the fight, and was even in an offensive position come the end of regulation time (if my memory serves me correctly). Yet Geo, is allowed to set the pace of the overtime rounds because a coin said so... My argument isn't necessarily about who is on offense first, but who gets to attempt to dictate the pace of the OT rounds. If Eddie had CHOSEN to defend first, that would be a completely different story. The way I see it though, the pace of the match was taken from Eddie, and AWARDED to Geo, which doesn't really seem right.
    Not true. The person on offense first, only gets to determine "the pace" if they submit their opponent. If the person on defense escapes quickly (ala gary) then they have now set the pace (potential mindset effect there as well). Alternatively the person on defense can choose to defend for an extended time which would also set the pace.

If the person who was subjectively winning during regulation is always allowed to choose whether they go on offense or defense first, then we are ignoring the potential that they are beginning to get frustrated and mentally defeated as a result of their failed offensive (as well as cardio which affects those who cut weight disproportionately) and making a big assumtion that they would have won in a no time limit situation. A somewhat weak argument, I admit, but it seems in line with the points you've made. I could be missing something.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    10thPlanetOceanside/SD
    I respect Ryan Hall but disagree wit his opinion. EBI is feared by many great grapplers you gotta be confident in your defense and in your finishing to compete in EBI not everyone style is made for it that's ok but in my opinion sub only>points. I read and heard about Ryan hating on 10p so when he was in SD doing a seminar at Victory MMA I made sure to stop by and check it out. When I met Ryan he was super humble and cool I felt not negative vibes from him. We ended up rolling for about 20min and we both had fun rolling wit each other he also rolled with Ben Eddie which is the best rubber guard player in 10p in my opinion Ryan definitely felt how useful and dangerous Rubber Gaurd can be if applied right. After his seminar he ask us if we can show him some details on the RG that day I gained more respect for Ryan and I'm pretty sure that he respects us our system as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakahzoid View Post
    I respect Ryan Hall but disagree wit his opinion. EBI is feared by many great grapplers you gotta be confident in your defense and in your finishing to compete in EBI not everyone style is made for it that's ok but in my opinion sub only>points. I read and heard about Ryan hating on 10p so when he was in SD doing a seminar at Victory MMA I made sure to stop by and check it out. When I met Ryan he was super humble and cool I felt not negative vibes from him. We ended up rolling for about 20min and we both had fun rolling wit each other he also rolled with Ben Eddie which is the best rubber guard player in 10p in my opinion Ryan definitely felt how useful and dangerous Rubber Gaurd can be if applied right. After his seminar he ask us if we can show him some details on the RG that day I gained more respect for Ryan and I'm pretty sure that he respects us our system as well.
    That's cool to hear... and I agree with your opinion.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The EBI format was designed for the audience. According to the president of UFC Fight Pass, EBI 10 numbers were "staggering".

There will be no changes to the format anytime soon, thank you for the support
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    The EBI format was designed for the audience. According to the president of UFC Fight Pass, EBI 10 numbers were "staggering".

There will be no changes to the format anytime soon, thank you for the support
    That's amazing... congrats. Does that mean Combat JJ is on hold ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234