Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10th Planet Fundamentals

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone or a couple of y'all can help me out. I've been trying out local jiu-jitsu schools to try and find a good home. I took a couple of classes from 10th Planet Austin, where I live, and loved it. However, when I go to other gyms and they ask where I've trained before and I tell them I've had a couple classes at 10P they ALL seem to have the same reponse. 1. You need to train both gi and no gi (don't really care about this). 2. You're going to miss out on developing sound fundamentals (this I do care about).

But, is that really true? I'll be honest, the classes I took at 10P were super advanced and being a no stripe white belt I didn't know what the hell was going on most of the time--but I loved it. I took a fundamentals class today at Gracie Barra and actually liked how we learned very basic things like arm bar from mount, key lock from mount--even what a mount is. Maybe to some or most of you guys this isn't a big deal, but to me it is. I want to develop solid fundamentals. Someone said you can get the fundamentals from the warm ups and I've looked through most of them and I still don't see a lot of things that I would consider fundamental (arm bar from mount, etc) in there. I hope all this makes sense and I don't come off the wrong way. The thing is, I really dig 10P but at the same time I want to have a strong foundation as well.
    Last edited by djs5150; 01-10-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Fun or not, more jiu jitsu=more benefit. Less jiu jitsu=less benefit. Depends what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Depends what you're looking for.
    Can you elaborate? I'm looking to have jiu-jitsu with solid fundamentals while still having fun

Array

School
    Memphis Judo and Jiu Jitsu
    djs u just happened to come in on a sport that's both advanced and still growing. The warm ups of 10p are pretty solid fundamentals if you are interested in that. The problem is you haven't had a lot of reps doing them so what seems complicated now will be clockwork for you in 2 weeks if you are diligent. Pick a warmup n do just that set or when you start rolling see where you are getting stuck at and believe me the 10p warm ups will have an answer for you.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    1) To answer NO, its not true. Most people outside of 10th Planet don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to the 10th Planet system, they only know what they've seen in a few videos/books. Eddie has said several times in interviews that he purposely left out fundamental material in his media like books, dvds because their is literately thousands of resources our their on them and didn't want to rehash the same material that has all ready been put out by others, rather he wanted to show material that was uniquely 10th Planet. Talking down on 10th Planet is one of the ways competing BJJ schools try to combat loosing business and students due to the rise of 10th Planet. Saying things like the only way to get better at no-gi and be fundamentally sound is to train Gi is just silly.

2)Yes there are fundamentals in the system, the 10p warm ups are a large part of the fundamentals curriculum. Each series has 4 flows, each flow is a series of movement/transitions, positions and submission. To the untrained eye it could seem like their lacking them, however when the warm ups are broken down and compartmentalized in the fundamentals classes (which most 10p schools have), you get to see the depth of fundamentals in the warm ups.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 01-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    1) To answer NO, its not true. Most people outside of 10th Planet don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to the 10th Planet system, the only know what they've seen in a few videos/books. Eddie has said several times in interviews, is that he purposely left out fundamental material in his media like books, dvds because their are literately thousands of resources our their on them and didn't want to rehash the same material that has all ready been put out but others, rather he wanted to show material that was uniquely 10th Planet. Talking down on 10th Planet is one of the ways competing BJJ schools try to combat loosing business and students due to the rise of 10th Plane. Saying things like the only way to get better at no-gi and be fundamentally sound is to train Gi is just silly.

2)Yes there are fundamentals in the system, the 10p warm ups large part of the fundamentals curriculum. Each series has 4 flows, each flow is a series of movement/transitions, positions and submission. To the untrained eye it could seem like their lacking them, however when the warm ups are broken down and compartmentalized in the fundamentals classes (which most 10p schools have), you get to see the depth of fundamentals in the warm ups.
    Can you point me in the right direction for breakdowns of the warmups? I want to be able to identify the fundamentals in each one if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by djs5150 View Post
    Can you point me in the right direction for breakdowns of the warmups? I want to be able to identify the fundamentals in each one if that makes sense.
    They are scattered throughout Mastering the System available under the techniques tab at the top of the page. I would recommend just checking the description of the youtube videos for a legible breakdown and learning each individual technique step by step. Good luck finding dedicated training partners though that is the hard part T.T

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by djs5150 View Post
    Go to a 10th Planet location and jump in the fundamentals classes and you will learn the break downs.

Also like Taylor some are scattered throughout the MTS, but your best bet is to train at 10p Austin.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 01-11-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWolf View Post
    They are scattered throughout Mastering the System available under the techniques tab at the top of the page. I would recommend just checking the description of the youtube videos for a legible breakdown and learning each individual technique step by step. Good luck finding dedicated training partners though that is the hard part T.T
    Thanks, I just watched all the warm ups on YouTube. They look great but there does seem to be a lot of fundamental stuff missing still. Perhaps you just get that stuff going to class? I just know the ones I went to looked like breakdowns of the stuff in the warm ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Go to a 10th Planet location and jump in the fundamentals classes and you will learn the break downs.

Also like Taylor some are scattered throughout the MTS, but your best bet is to train at 10p Austin.
    Did you start from white belt at 10th Planet? If so, when you roll with folks from a different--even more traditional schools do you feel like you're on par with them or better as far as fundamentals are concerned?

If you didn't start as a white belt at 10th Planet do you feel like you would of got the same stuff there anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast