Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Hewson View Post
    I see your point Jason Mallory, that is true that they are using a fish eye lense. So the solutions to that problem are 1.They need to use a regular lensed camera 2. They need to find a way to get the rocket much much higher 3. It would be a good idea if they were to launch the rocket from another continent closer to the "edge" of the world so we could see if the world has an "end"

Another option would be what someone suggested was to circle the earth on a plane and video tape that. I am unsure if that is possible as I do not know the laws behind airspace and the cost involved but that would be a solution.

How scary would that be for someone who believed the earth was flat, like when they get close to the "edge" they would be freaking out like oh shit we are going to die!!!
    Addressing your second point: Balloons have gone up 121,000 feet which is hight enough according to the math to see the curvature of the earth if it were there. The curvature is supposed to be 8" x mile squared so at that height it would be visible.

Array

School
    Adrenaline MMA, Cheltenham VIC Australia
    Here is an article explaining why there is confusion with the photographs. http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf

Again I keep coming back to this point, there are tens of thousands of students studying this right now, and hundreds of thousands more that have studied it in the past. And you are telling me that 99.999999999% of them are wrong?

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    It's actually pretty cool for me to see flat earth theory come back around

I used to browse the Flat Earth Society forums like 10 years ago; I'd memorize stuff from their wiki and use it to annoy my friends at school, bait people into random arguments

from what I could tell it was mostly comprised of physics undergrads who spent their free time trolling people on the internet, though I guess that demographic has shifted towards conspiracy theorists which is pretty interesting

It's a good intellectual exercise to contemplate; if you get super deep into the facts on either side of the debate it becomes less about physics and more about philosophy, how knowledge can be derived in more ways than axioms and logic, what knowledge means even; not trying to be condescending to anyone, whatever side of the debate you fall sincerely or otherwise you have a special place in my heart

Peace

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    http://planetary.org/explore/space-t...pacecraft.html
    This site has tons of pictures of Earth from space with a variety of cameras from not only NASA but Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Soviet Spacecraft. Are these all fakes? What would be the motivation for all of these countries to lie?

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I wonder what Buckminster Fuller would have to add to the discussion. Would his Dymaxion map be an accurate map of a 'flat earth'?

https://www.bfi.org/about-fuller/big...d/dymaxion-map

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_map

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NameLikeNoOther View Post
    I wonder what Buckminster Fuller would have to add to the discussion. Would his Dymaxion map be an accurate map of a 'flat earth'?
    No, I dont think so. Every flat earth Map I've seen has no Antarctica at all, but instead has the ice wall around the rim of the disk.

Buckmister would probably have a good laugh about the flat earth theory. He's probably have some really good ways to prove it round as well.. that guy was a spacial genius.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Harris View Post
    http://planetary.org/explore/space-t...pacecraft.html
    This site has tons of pictures of Earth from space with a variety of cameras from not only NASA but Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Soviet Spacecraft. Are these all fakes? What would be the motivation for all of these countries to lie?
    All those pictures are either composites, cgi or straight up fake. Here is video of Robert Simmon who created the 2002 'blue marble' admitting it's photoshop.

Array

School
    Here is footage of the astronauts faking the 1972 blue marble image that Robert spoke about in the above video that inspired him.

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    All those pictures are either composites, cgi or straight up fake. Here is video of Robert Simmon who created the 2002 'blue marble' admitting it's photoshop.
    So you looked at the site I linked and determined that every photo there was photoshopped or completely faked, even though none come from NASA and many are from recent missions from countries that would have no reason to "go-along" with the lies told by NASA?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Harris View Post
    So you looked at the site I linked and determined that every photo there was photoshopped or completely faked, even though none come from NASA and many are from recent missions from countries that would have no reason to "go-along" with the lies told by NASA?
    Those photos looked fake to me too. Not to mention how low res they were.

Why wouldn't we have super-ultra-high-res pics of earth? Like 10,000 pixels by 10,000 pixels?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast