Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK

Grapplers with my body type

Hi,

I've been watching a few grappling matches. Quite a lot recommended to me in another thread.

I thought it would be interesting to follow some grapplers with a similar body type to me, to see what type of game they use, and how they make things work.

I'm 6-5 tall, and around 89 KG. I'm not particularly strong or flexible, or naturally athletic.

I do find my height can compensate for some of this though.

So, are there any grapplers out there that would be worth studying or have that sort of body type?

Thanks,

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Jeff Monson

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Seriously though, that's a tough one. There must be some really tall and skinny high-level guys around.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Boogeyman is close, 6'2", 77 kg, according to sherdog

Array

School
    bayou fitness and combat sports
    lavato jr is like 6'1- 6'2 205lbs ish. keenan is like 6'2. id just look at lankier fighters. its going to be hard to find anyone as tall as you that doesnt weigh 250lbs. on the positive you're going to have a ridiculous guard to pass when you figure it out.

Array

School
    Stealth BJJ
    Gordon Ryan maybe? He isn't 6'5" but he is quite tall and roughly 85kg

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Cheers guys

Watched a bit of Keenan yesterday he's the only one I could think of.

Will start checking out the others too (except Jeff Monson!)

Good shout on the guard though. I'm already surprising people thinking they're diving past my legs, not quite making it, and ending up in triangles.

Array

School
    CDMA (RGA Affiliate), Abingdon, UK
    Not intending to highjack the thread, but I myself am quite new to following Jiu Jitsu. Any recommendations for my body type? 5ft6in 138lbs. I know of Caio Terra. Anyone else?

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon Tunstall View Post
    Not intending to highjack the thread, but I myself am quite new to following Jiu Jitsu. Any recommendations for my body type? 5ft6in 138lbs. I know of Caio Terra. Anyone else?
    I say this respectfully, but how about some of the women athletes? They know how to use their size and flexibility, sometimes better than the guys.

Array

School
    bayou fitness and combat sports
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon Tunstall View Post
    watch EBI batamweights. there's a current who's who of killer grapplers at 135. outside of that i think the miyaos and jeff glover kinda fit into your weightclass.