Array

School
    Team One MMA

Improve my dead orchard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyWktzz1S0

So, even though that I am not a 10th Planet student, I do love many aspects of the system. I'll occasionally play rubber guard, love the whole truck/twister side control game, and of course, the dead orchard. The video was me competing in a tournament, and submitting my first opponent with an armbar from dead orchard. But I want to improve my dead orchard. I have a tough time at locking out one of the shoulders to get the proper position. Does anyone have any advice on how to more easily lock out the shoulder to get to the position?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    You know what I hated most about the trend of Dead Orchards that boomed all at once ( coming from a guy that used it WAY before it had that name) its that in allot of peoples mind it became all about getting that triangle latched at less about the original set ups.

It appears the set up your using to get the elbow across is the "croc". Kind of. If you have the original book, check Eddies instruction of that. Your thigh needs to drop to his elbow when you do that which you never did. You just latched crack head control. Their is a big difference in that and the croc. You need to be on the very end of the lever (elbow) to get that to work.

A dead orchard is generally available in spots that eddies original "shoulder trap" was, so look at all the ways to get that. Use real set ups. If those fail, go back to the basic path.

You looked good once you got it though, my opinion is that you just need to pick 1 shoulder trap set up and rep the heck out of it until your super technical at setting that up

Array

School
    Team One MMA
    For dropping the elbow on the thigh, are you talking about my right side leg? And I agree, with one great set up, I can drill the hell out of it and have it become more high percentage.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Elvis Sinosic was the first to pull it off, he did it against Jeremy horn in the UFC around 2000. His legs are so long that he doesn't need much of a set up. My legs are short so I need to get to muddy waters first to set up dead orchards. But Marvin and Jeremiah just go to mission control with an immediate gag reflex to get their opponents to push off the gag and that brings his elbows closer together so that's where you triangle your legs
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Elvis Sinosic was the first to pull it off, he did it against Jeremy horn in the UFC around 2000. His legs are so long that he doesn't need much of a set up. My legs are short so I need to get to muddy waters first to set up dead orchards. But Marvin and Jeremiah just go to mission control with an immediate gag reflex to get their opponents to push off the gag and that brings his elbows closer together so that's where you triangle your legs
    And that pre dates the vid I saw of Sean Bollinger doing it which is when I think I first saw it. Its been around a while for sure. It had a huge boom late 2013 to 2014 it seemed like though. I'm definitely not trying to say I was the first, but I did pre-date that trend

I don't use the gag reflex much mainly because I was scared by the Erwin Marshal story, but that set up is for real for sure.