SAMBO=10th planet in a gi/jacket?

Does anyone here train in sambo? It's much more like 10th planet, less rules, looser leg lock rules, more wrestling, skeletal locks, more open-minded than gracie jiu-jitsu. The tighter jacket/kurtka allows for easier underhooks and greco-roman throws.

Judo rules give me a headache and scholastic wrestling IS a part of grappling. Not even rousey who doesn't use lower body takedowns doesn't like the new anti-wrestling rules.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I've crossed trained with a ton of sambo guys. They even have "combat wrestling" which is basically like no go sambo and is put on by sambo Steve and allot of the sambo guys. That said, Sambo is VERY different than 10p because sambo typically discourages guard work and most bottom game strategy. Shorter time limit also typically favor those guys where 10p is usually happier with very long time limits. I'm definitely ALL about cross training though. Even cross competing if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    I've crossed trained with a ton of sambo guys. They even have "combat wrestling" which is basically like no go sambo and is put on by sambo Steve and allot of the sambo guys. That said, Sambo is VERY different than 10p because sambo typically discourages guard work and most bottom game strategy. Shorter time limit also typically favor those guys where 10p is usually happier with very long time limits. I'm definitely ALL about cross training though. Even cross competing if that's your thing.
    Good post.

I would also say that the leg lock rules aren't as loose as a lot of people think. They're looser than most traditional jiu-jitsu schools but if you're at a 10th Planet school then you're going to probably go to a slightly more strict environment. 10th Planet is the only large affiliation I know of that (I think) officially allows and encourages all students of all levels to work on any submission they want to. I don't train at a 10th Planet school so I could be wrong on that but I think that's the case.

I don't understand what you mean the rules aren't as loose. I learned Sambo from a purple belt in 10th btw

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    I believe sambo in the US (as well as judo) have made VAST improvements in their guard techniques. All because of the increased knowledge from BJJ.