Array

School
    Voodoo Combat Base Macclesfield

Shin to shin to SLX v standing - do you consistently hit it?

Hi guys,

For a long time, I've been trying to work to getting to shin-on-shin versus a standing opponent with the intention of going to SLX, then into a normal leg lock flow. I can get there really easily when someone is just in combat base no problem; it's my go to when anyone is trying to pass me that way.

It's just that I find it really difficult to get to it doing a quick scoot in against a standing opponent in a roll (I can rep it out no problem whilst drilling). During a roll, they either back away, back step before start to try and elevate them, or they don't really present their leg enough for you to get the position.... a whole load of ways of thwarting it. I've tried the whole Marcelo thing of handfighting, trying to get a 2-on-1 and pulling yourself in or trying to grab a leg when they pull away etc., but try as I might, they tend to react too quickly when you do scoot close. The only few times I've ever gotten it is when they try to step into me with their leg to pressure a knee cut and I manage to get my shin in the way; their momentum helps me elevate the leg.

Now, of course, I'm sure it's me just being shit at it and I need to keep drilling it But to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen it consistently hit at the higher levels of competition. More commonly, I see guys just blasting a leg through from butterfly hooks to get to single leg X. It doesn't look anywhere near as pretty, but it works. I see Black Mamba to half guard or Spiral (Geo style) and Imanari rolls much more frequently than I see scooting to shin-on-shin to SLX.

Does anyone consistently get this to work roll after roll, i.e. do you consider it a high percentage technique of yours, or do you prefer another way of engaging a standing opponent? Do you manage to scoot in to get it, or do you wait for them to come to you? Do you Black Mamba to 1/4 ashi? Sorry; too many questions, but I just need help!

If you've gotten this far, thanks very much for enduring :-) Any help/thoughts will be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks :-)

Array

School
    Ronin
    I find I don't hit the classic shin to shin either. The only time I really hit it is when the opponent has a Gi and I can control the opposite side of his body.

Therefore all I generally do if I'm going to play a shin to shin style game is get wrist control and scoot under to set up Ashi Garami or Outside Ashi.

I hit this on every size and belt level, but there are some important things to consider. First is that it's not exactly a move you would hit on a cautious opponent moving backwards; it's most instructive to view it as an attack from shin-on-shin guard, where you're keeping your shin in front of a pressure passer and using it to deny him the entry into headquarters position. Second is that this entry works best when you are very assertive with your grips, overhooking hard around the knee you're attacking and controlling your opponent's posture with a cross grip on his shoulder or collar. Third is that you should be prepared to deal with a common counter where your opponent will pinch his knees tightly together and deny you the entry;though a strong cross grip can allow you to punch through the tight knee defense, sometimes it just won't happen so you should be ready to bail on the shin-on-shin, kick out your opponent's far knee then look for something like De La X or reverse X.