Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    HQ

Kids class questions

I’d like to find some more games I can use for my little guys but obviously I want them to be relevant to technique.
    What are your favorite games you play with the kids? Can you please describe them for me?

Also, how do you explain the theory of jiu jitsu to your tiny guys, like under 7? We have a new little guy I’m struggling to help understand submissions. He understands when to tap, and when to let go when someone else taps, but it’s like he’s struggling with why we’re hurting each other. I’ve never had to explain it to someone this young and I’m just not sure how to word it. Any thoughts?
    “It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard ... is what makes it great.”

@wonderwomandgg @10pwsd @mattherapylife

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Hey Dawna-

My tried and true game for kids 4-10ish is Simon Says. With all kids spread across the space shoulder to shoulder you can lead them through any all sorts of "Simon says _____." I'd use this game usually as warmup, so Simon would say to touch your toes, ect- leading through a stretch, and then get the kids heart rate up a bit. The rest of the game for me tends to mostly consist of "Simon says breakfall, Simon says stand up in base. Simon says breakfall, Simon says shrimp to the back wall, stand up in base. " Forward roll, back roll, cartwheel.... all those things. The idea obviously isn't to "get kids out' of the game, but to encourage critical listening.

Also Red Light/Green Light.

Array

School
    Open Mat
    Hey Dawna ,

Congrats on choosing to hang in those nasty legpositions... and on winning that horrible and creepy show onnit 6.
    That show gives me the creeps... the whole vibe is off...
    did you feel it while competing?

I dont thing you should say anything to a kid that young involving choking people to sleep
    Much more if you are trying to make him love choking people
    Dont you guys just do armbars till like 11-12 years old?

You can aways say that getting the tap is like air... aint that big of a deal till you aint getting any
    And that you grow to love it very very much but if you dont feel it its ok too.
    We live on a bowl.

"this isn't bread crumbs and horseshit" - AJ

"Come out, come out, pu$$y you can't hide from a war" - 50 cent

Array

School
    Inglorious Grapplers Hong Kong
    have you seen the think JIU JIT SU game we play this alot at our gym
    Last edited by lattamoney; 01-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Array

School
    Open Mat
    Oh yeah , i remember we played basketball with takedowns and no dribble that was tons of fun ...
    We live on a bowl.

Array

School
    HQ
    @ Tim, I like that. I do something similar but not with a Simon says. The little guys might like that context though, thanks!

@lattamoney I’ve heard of it but didn’t know it was good for kids, thanks!

@LuT of course we teach chokes that young, our kids are awesome and we always have someone monitoring everything they do. This is the first kid I’ve seen struggle with the concept but imagine it will come up again sometime.

Not sure what about Onnit you would find creepy. What makes you say that? The experience of being there was pretty amazing. The gym itself is like a dream gym for functional performance and the mats are 10P, so it felt like home. As for the comp itself we were treated wonderfully and it was cool as fuck to be able to compete there and rep 10P. Even though I’d go back and do some things different in my matches, it was still one of the best experiences of my life. Definitely 10/10
    Last edited by Dawna; 12-19-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    “It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard ... is what makes it great.”

@wonderwomandgg @10pwsd @mattherapylife

Array

School
    Open Mat
    @Dawna

I always though that you are suppose to get into 1 submission and build your game around it , trying to get that submission from all positions and learn the fine points of it, but im probably wrong. Thats very cool that you guys teach everything that young.
    You got great believe in those kids and thats very frosty to see from an instructor.

About onnit... did they make you wear those rush guards? Something felt very off in it maybe it was the lights i dont know
    i could not go through the whole event , just watch your matches and a couple more. Felt like aliens would show up and be disgusted.
    We live on a bowl.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Have you seen the Gracie Bullyproof dvd's? They have a bunch of good games in there for the youngsters. Crazy horse is a favorite of our class. Start with back control and have the other person try to buck them off like a horse.

We also do a lot of sumo wrestling and sock wrestling to work on good wrestling fundamentals and controlling positions. Kids love it.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    We play a bunch of different types of games...the most popular is Crab Soccer (just like regular soccer, but you have to be in the crab position). Two on One Tage (you have to establish a 2 on 1 grip on your opponent...works fighting for control and grips). Toe Tag (just like tag, but you can only tag them from the knee down...works the take down game). And a few more...trying to get my kids instructor to chime in with more.

Array

School
    Open Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Meek View Post
    We play a bunch of different types of games...the most popular is Crab Soccer (just like regular soccer, but you have to be in the crab position). Two on One Tage (you have to establish a 2 on 1 grip on your opponent...works fighting for control and grips). Toe Tag (just like tag, but you can only tag them from the knee down...works the take down game). And a few more...trying to get my kids instructor to chime in with more.
    Those sound like tons of fun
    We live on a bowl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast