Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

No way Ferguson beats Khabib!

Sorry 10th pl

sambo wins

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Ferguson doesn't fight anything like these other guys Khalabib's beaten.

The biggest hole in Ferguson's game is his stand up defense. His hands are too low as why he gets hit too much. I don't think he uses it to lure his opp to counter. You can see all his previous fights, he gets hit a lot to the point that he's reckless. Surprised none of his coaches have said anything to him about it. Drives me crazy. Still Team Cucuy!

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Acosta View Post
    The biggest hole in Ferguson's game is his stand up defense. His hands are too low as why he gets hit too much. I don't think he uses it to lure his opp to counter. You can see all his previous fights, he gets hit a lot to the point that he's reckless. Surprised none of his coaches have said anything to him about it. Drives me crazy. Still Team Cucuy!
    Don't disagree. But that wouldn't really be an issue with Khabib, it's not like he's a KO artist.

Here's how I see it. Tony has insanely vicious elbows from the bottom. That alone is obviously not enough, but it's definitely ONE useful tool against Khabib being on the top. Something tells me Khabib is one reason why Tony got so good at them in the first place.

However, what Tony has to prepare for the most I would say are two things, 1. Khabibs pure strength and 2. his forward movement. Khabib has been wrestling since he was a kid, he has a black belt in Judo and he's a two time Combat Sambo World Champion. When you look at his body you can tell he's not as muscular as some other fighters, but he has insane strength. Why is that? Well, for all those who don't know, strength is not (primarily) generated by muscles. Muscles contribute to it, so do the right leverage and the right motions, but the main source and reason for strength are strong nerves. That's why the truly strongest fighters don't look like bodybuilders. How does Tony prepare for that? By doing (even) more strength and conditioning stuff. When you want muscles and to look pretty, you do muscle training, when you want to get strong you do strength training, they're not the same. Obviously Khabibs wrestling skills aren't just pure strength, he's very technical, but when you have someone who has strength AND technique... that's a tough motherfucker.

What does Tony do against Khabibs forward movement? Well, more generally speaking, there are two things you should aim for against someone who comes at you Ben Askren style: 1. you have to stop his forward movement, 2. (more difficult) you have to push him back, while not giving him an opportunity to catch you. The second part is especially important, because not only does it disable his overall game plan, it also hits him mentally, it discourages him. How do you accomplish that more concretely? Difficult to say. Sudden and surprising attacks could be one thing, general unpredictability another. Superman punches (GSP style) and flying kness (Barboza style) might be effective tools, I'm not sure. The general unpredictability is something Tony has already somewhat shown with his awkward movement and rhythm, awkward, but in a good way. I think we have to see more of that, more feints, doing stuff that that makes Khabib hesitant, wondering what the fuck is going on, not knowing what comes next.

As Eduardo said, Tony's stand up defense isn't very good, he's getting hit way too often. Against Khabib I don't think this is as important as against Conor, but Khabib isn't bad at striking either. He has that weird uppercut/hook-punch, whatever you want to call it, that he caught a few people with. In this fight it won't matter as much I believe, but getting better stand up defense isn't a bad idea in general I guess.

My last point isn't really about the fight itself, but I've been thinking about this for quite some time now. I've noticed something in both Tony's and Khabib's behavior lately. Tony, before he fought Kevin, and Khabib before he fought Barboza... have been relaxed as fuck. Tony listened to music, having fun, Khabib treated Barboza like a friend, showing no sign of intimidation or nervousness whatsoever. Honestly, I would love to see this before Tony's and Khabib's fight aswell. Not only is that far more respectful and exemplary for something extremely important that martial arts seem to have lost over time, on their level, the top level of MMA, it might actually be better mental warfare than all the trash talk, that is starting to get old. "Seen it, been there, done that!"
    It also seems to be a good counter against (the trend of) trash talk in general. "Do your thing, whatever, I don't care, I'm having fun."

Tony vs. Khabib is a very important fight, for so many reasons I'm really excited about it.

Array

School
    breathmindphysineurology-awareness
    great post max, agreed on tony vs khabib...and big time agreed on all the fakeass shit talking and fake intimidation garbage. cool calm and collected is so much more professional.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Tony vs Conor first, then kabib. It shouldn’t be any other way
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Tony vs Conor first, then kabib. It shouldn’t be any other way
    I agree, that should happen first. If not, Conor should vacate the title. Khabib said it well, he is 25-0, but is not the champion, Tony has a 10-fight win streak and is not the "real champion", but someone who only fought once in that division and hasn't defended his title once in TWO divisions... he's champion, because he "does what the fook he wants". Total bullshit. I respected Conor for everything he has accomplished and he is a good fighter, no doubt, but if he continues like this he'll keep losing fans.

Array

School
    10th planet Ronin, Choi institute.
    I got Kahbib too. Ferguson can beat Mc. Gregor though, if he uses his wrestling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast