Array

School
    10th Planet Hamilton NZ

Jiu Jitsu and Hernia's

Hi All

Got a question for you all...I'm 41, been doing jiu jitsu when I can (around family and work commitments - so maybe twice a week) for a couple of years. I had an inguinal hernia repair in 2000. Have had no problem with it at all. Played rugby, lifted weights, did everything - completely normal.

Just before Christmas I developed a femoral hernia. Got it repaired. Took 8 weeks off any jiu jitsu, no drilling, no nothing. Have been back into it no problem since - so I guess another 2 months or so.

Until...last week...I felt another lump. Had a scan two days ago and have two new hernias (well, one totally new and the old one from 2000 is starting to fail). The one from Christmas is ok.

The question is...has anyone else had experience with hernia surgery and getting back to jiu jitsu successfully? Have I done something wrong? What precautions should I take? Or is this the end of my very short jiu jitsu journey?

One thing that's bugging me is that after a couple of shots to the nuts last year, I got a cup. I spent the money to get "the best one". It sits over the area in question, so could this be damaging the muscle somehow when it's getting pressed into me by someones weight?

Thanks in advance, any response to the problems with my junk much appreciated.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Sorry you’re going through this. Femoral hernias are on the rare side, but it seems you have a predisposition for getting hernias. Do you find that you strain pretty hard during jits? Perhaps when bridging or other explosive hip movment?

I never wear a cup, because I feel like I’d rather take a nut shot than have the cup pressing on my groin all the time.

Good luck!

in 2014 i got an inguinal hernia at work. It was repaired after 2 weeks and i took 5 weeks off for recovery. Doc said i would have almost no pain after 6 months but it would take longer for me to be mentally ready to do things again. It took about a year before i stopped having pain and consequently stopped being hyper aware of the area.

Some people are more prone to hernias and when i talked with my doctor he said that people who have one are at an even higher risk to have another. There are a ton of things i keep in mind so that i can continue to train jiu jitsu without injuries: I dont invert, If i get stacked by a huge goon that is bad for my abdomen. I dont turn in vs side control, if i cant ghost or jailbreak i turn away and just work my back/armbar defense it is not worth it to turn in and get knee on belly vs some huge goon who is going to drive it all the way to your spine while pulling your head with no regard for your hernia. I always clinch something, if you are always close to your opponent they wont have the space required to build momentum and cause damage due to an explosive movement. Use pressure passes, A good knee slide or toreando requires a lot of power from the hips which is dangerous for your hernia. I could go on and on but you get the idea that you need to be very mindful of your injury and how you are going to approach the sport.

For what its worth i dont wear a cup for the very reason you mentioned. Tone down the pace of your training and you will have much less of an issue with glancing blows to your nuts.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamilton NZ
    Thanks for the responses...

Daniel, I've been making a real conscious effort to not strain hard...but probably have been. I tend not to try to remove someone from mount explosively because of that (and really, I've got no issue with not having a complete game as I'm obviously not going to EBI anytime soon). I tend to fight for half guard rather than bridge and roll - unless I catch someone when their weight is off me when moving to mount.

Rhan, yeah, I'm not especially flexible, so bail out pretty quick if I'm getting stacked. Interesting about not turning in vs. side control. Didn't think of that. I've not been too worried about knee on belly due to not being particularly uncomfortable for me, but it's probably something best avoided. Good point on the knee slice too. Didn't think of that!

Thanks heaps again!

I really feel like it might be the cup - just where it sits vs where I'm having the issues. I went over a year with no issues when I started out with no cup.

After I get this sorted, I'll take the chances with my nuts. They've done their duty and have been switched off...although...disaster if a knee switches them back on!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    I’ve had 2 hernia surgeries and it didn’t effect my Jiu Jitsu whatsoever once I fully healed
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Eddie, did they use mesh? I had one ages ago; mesh was used to close and strengthen the area. Haven't issues since.