Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    KJJ

Trouble with strong dudes grabbing my arm while in the lockdown

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem that everyone's faced when learning the lockdown - big strong dude can't escape, so he grabs an arm and starts twisting/straightening it for a americana/straight armlock/kimura submission combo.

Question is - What do you guys do from here? With shorter guys, it's easy to straighten the lockdown and pull them downward, killing the angle of their arm submission. But with taller dudes, it doesn't make a difference.

So far, the only thing that's (kind of) worked for me has been going for the electric chair (while my LD-side arm is still stuck). It's possible and certainly works - but always ends up being a race between who pulls off his move first -- the arm submission, or the electric chair (not a great way to defend IMO).

Lockdown masters out there, any tips for this lockdown noob?

p.s. On a side note, when I do manage to avoid this and dive in for the electric underhooks, higher level guys have been reaching around their backs and grabbing kimuras - putting me right back into the position I'm talking about in that whole chunk of text above.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    While using lock down your arms should never be just hanging there. You're either gonna have double unders and gable gripping hard on your opponents floater rib or have electric hooks, unless you're fighting to get there. Trust your lockdown bro, stretch it out and swivel your hips around. Just the lockdown alone has saved me from kimuras and armlocks you just have to get comfortable using it. Just like anything if you put in the reps it WILL work for you.
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    lawsons combat sports
    look up whip down

Array

School
    Sunbury Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    look up whip down
    I was having a very similar discussion last night with Jem Havok (10th Planet Melb Blue belt). His advice was identical. Whip Down is the solution.

I'm still trying to implement this but be patient. I think Eddie talked about this in MTS 71(?) and mentioned that in order to develop a strong lockdown game be prepared to be kimura'd and guillotined regularly until you refine the technique.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Herrera View Post
    While using lock down your arms should never be just hanging there. You're either gonna have double unders and gable gripping hard on your opponents floater rib or have electric hooks, unless you're fighting to get there. Trust your lockdown bro, stretch it out and swivel your hips around. Just the lockdown alone has saved me from kimuras and armlocks you just have to get comfortable using it. Just like anything if you put in the reps it WILL work for you.
    Thanks Anthony, good advice! Gotta admit I usually chill when I've got the lockdown and wait for opponents to either give up or over commit - before setting up either the electric chair, dog fight or just transitioning to full guard. That's probably why they grab a hold of my arm so easily, oops (strange how it's so obviously - yet I never though of that )

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    look up whip down
    Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "look up whip down"?

Array

School
    10th Planet West LA
    Quote Originally Posted by mountveggie View Post
    Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "look up whip down"?
    He means look up the technique "Whip down," which is kind of the opposite of a "Whip up." If you usually whip up to the right side of your body, for example, for the whip down you'd bring the person to your left side, giving you the space/opportunity to bring in and protect your left arm.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jee Kim View Post
    He means look up the technique "Whip down," which is kind of the opposite of a "Whip up." If you usually whip up to the right side of your body, for example, for the whip down you'd bring the person to your left side, giving you the space/opportunity to bring in and protect your left arm.
    Ahhh, I see. Thanks dude!

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Keep your elbows tight. No space between elbow and ribs, no kimura. If he does get wrist control and start hunting kimura, the whip down will force him to release and post. Then get your double unders.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    The answer is that you don't have proper underhooks. If you have a good deep underhook that this doesn't happen. Practice finding that underhook in transition so when you get to lock down your ready to work vs. Fighting for an underhook after your in lock down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast