New Guys - Starting Out

Hey,

So me and a buddy just signed up with 10p but we don't live anywhere near a gym and just roll on our own with the videos as guides. The resources here are a little overwhelming just because there's so much and it doesn't seem to be totally chronological as far as where you'd start as a white belt and a clear progression through techniques and videos. I figured we would just nail down the warm ups a solid as we can but if you guys had any guidance for us as far as how we should be moving through videos and improving when we're so isolated that'd be dope.

Thanks in advance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Las Vegas
    this has all the warm-ups

http://www.youtube.com/user/jemhavok

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    Warmups are great. Focus on RG paths first and Lockdown.

Array

School
    Husaria Naas
    If you can handle rubber guard, start there, if not, start from lockdown. That being said, my advise is to get the books or DVDs, you can then choose which paths are easier for you to start with.

lockdown CITY

...and yes warmups, good man

Array

School
    Zapata JiuJitsu, Palo Cerdo CA
    I think getting into lockdown and the truck are 2 great ways to expose yourself to the system and get yourself settled into it. I've done Jits 8 years and only recently went hard into 10th planet with these online resources and I found that Rubber Guard wasn't something I could do yet cause my flexibility wasn't there yet and my mind was only just opening up to what was possible.

Lockdown is something you can use right away and can feel it's effectiveness, and truck is one that again immobilizes your opponent and gives you a feeling of total control.

I think Rubber Guard is something that comes once you feel flexible and ready to really open up with creativity.

That's my two cents as someone who hasn't trained at a 10p gym but has adopted the style through online resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladi The African Tiger View Post
    If you can handle rubber guard, start there, if not, start from lockdown. That being said, my advise is to get the books or DVDs, you can then choose which paths are easier for you to start with.
    So DVDs are going to be pretty different compared to the MTS videos?

Array

School
    Ronin @ Ion BJJ
    The RG DVD is much older and is just Eddie going through the different moves with funny skits and videos interspersed. Mastering the Twister DVD is more cohesive. The books are excellent, but they are out of print. MTS videos are specific techniques kind of all over the place, so you have to do a lot of searching. I find that MTS stuff refines the basics from the books/DVDs and updates you to the current state of the game as folks develop counters to 10P stuff.