Thread: "body-only" MMA

"body-only" MMA

In the past I wasn't sure if there would ever be any interest in this, but cjj and even stuff like Karate Combat seem to suggest an increasing interest in new rule-sets and forms of competition between individual disciplines and MMA.

If somebody is interested in the "full spectrum" of fighting, MMA is obviously the way to go, but in the long-run the risk to get CTE and comparable issues is very high. There could be a potential solution to this problem though, the question is if people are interested enough: "body-only" MMA. No punches to the head, kinda like in kyokushin, but also no kicks, elbows, knees, slams, etc. to the head. It's "MMA without KO's" and some will find that boring, but I say it has potential. What do you think?

Array

School
    Husaria Naas
    Sounds interesting but I'm too used to axe kicks and spinning kicks, I wouldn't enjoy it. But a good body shot will still KO anyone

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    In my opinion "body-only" rules suck. As Mike Tyson stated: "Everyone has a plan until they are getting punched in the face."

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Its called amateur mma, many states have novice divisions for fighters under 3 fights.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Going down after f.ex. a liver shot is a "technical knockout" I believe!? Maybe I'm wrong. Spinning stuff can still be done to the body and legs.

If "amateur/novice" MMA uses those rules, that's cool! Lets use them in high level competition aswell then! I'm curious about the changes in strategy it would lead to.

body only karate BLOWS try wearing four ounce gloves shinguard and see how well you like. My gym is kyokushin based luckily they have regular kickboxing and mma. I have epilepsy and I still get my shit knocked out of me in sparring but it beats karate kata.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAOLINMONK View Post
    body only karate BLOWS try wearing four ounce gloves shinguard and see how well you like. My gym is kyokushin based luckily they have regular kickboxing and mma. I have epilepsy and I still get my shit knocked out of me in sparring but it beats karate kata.
    Does it suck or does it blow? Or, can it suck and blow at the same time? No Head contact MMA is like no contact sex.

try putting on some boxing gloves going into a ring and saying "let's only punch and kick eachother in the body" I had a partner who did that and it was the most awkward round. I kept trying to block punches to the body with my gloves lol what a waste of a training session. I had to do body only because of a recent seizure though.

Luckily I'm suggesting body-only MMA and not body-only boxing. Hail to the side-kicks, roundhouse kicks, knees, elbows, etc. to the body! You better protect that liver boy! Hail to the oblique kicks, low kicks, knees to the legs, etc.!

As much as I enjoy high level striking to the head, this ruleset also takes the athlete's long-term health into consideration. Fuck CTE!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Body only mma? Hmm I don’t think people would be into it but I could be wrong
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie