Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!

Marcelo Garcia's South Florida Academy

Has anyone ever trained at Marcelo Garcia's academy in Pembroke Pines, Florida? I'm looking for a good no-gi gym close by and I'm only 15 minutes from MG's academy. (Desperately hoping a 10th planet will open up down here soon) My other option I guess is one of the American Top Team gyms, but I'm looking for more of a grappling centric place to train. Any advice on where to train down here, or info on MG's school would be great. I'm particularly curious how often MG is actually at the Florida school since I know he has a big one in New York. Thanks in advance

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Actually, Marcelo's South Florida gym is an ATT gym from my understanding...
    http://www.americantopteam.com/news_...sArticleID=377

Array

School
    Ah I knew he was training at ATT, but I didn't know they were involved with his academy, is that the case?

Array

School
    10th Planet Headquarters
    yes, Nathan (brown belt) has trained at Marcelo Garcia's gym. It's an awesome gym!!! Marcelo has his own gym in Pembroke Pines, he used to train at ATT every now and then but the gym in pembroke pines is Marcelo's only. It's managed by his top black belt and Marcelo comes and visits from NY every now and then.

Array

School
    10th Planet Headquarters
    oh btw, i'm from pembroke pines! but yes, marcelo's gym is grappling focused

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    I trained there- and still consider Marcelo my teacher (even though I have moved).

The academy is run by Henrique Resende (sp?)- who is an amazing teacher. He is also one of Marcelo's best friends.

Henrique recently received his black belt from Fabio Gurgel (he trained mainly with Fabio in Brazil), and teaches all the classes.
    Henrique was essentially Fabio's right hand man for several years, helping him with all of his private lessons, teaching classes, etc.

Many people in Brazil consider Fabio Gurgel one of the best teachers ever....and you can see how much it has rubbed off with Henrique.
    He's a super nice guy and will teach you amazing gi and no gi techniques.

Array

School
    Excellent to hear, looks like my inclination was correct... Marcelo Garcia for life!! Can't wait to meet the guy. Any idea how much he charges per month?

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    i wish i was liveing in florida dammit

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy
    Kying, I couldn't agree with you more. Henrique is an awesome grappler and very technical...very nice guy, too....I had a great time when I was down there last year. The gym is full of really good ppl, too....

Henrique is the training partner in these vids:

http://www.groundfighter.com/Marcelo-Garcia-Series-3/

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Hmmm, followed the link. If I want Marcelo Garcia's DVDs (and I do) its going to cost me $600, or in New Zealand dollars (if you can call them that), $843.78 . Ouch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast