Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Destruction MMA

the feeling you get from your gym/training

I was wondering how other people feel when they get done with their training at night. be it bjj, mma, etc. I've been going to my gym off and on as i could afford it for years. I love the coaches and the drills and most of the dudes in there. However, i usually feel like i didn't train or learn ( usually) but more of like a losing feeling. Probably mostly on myself and i feel like i should've done better and it's frustrating, but motivating at the same time. The problem is this is becoming a pretty regular occurence. not just a once a week, or less, thing.
    So the main question, do you usually feel, frustrated, motivated, satisfied, or what after training?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Unless you're trying to be a professional mixed martial artist, shouldn't training be FUN first and foremost? If you aren't leaving the gym satisfied you should probably find a new gym.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    What are you frustrated with? Your gym or yourself? Its normal to be frustrated at some point in yourself and take that out on other people but if its the place your training find a new gym.

Array

School
    Renzo Gracie Stamford
    Yea, you shouldn't be frustrated. Practice, practice, we're talking about practice. It's not competition, don't worry with how your doing. Practice is for trying new moves or drilling your favorite stuff. Don't try to concentrate on winning every time you roll in practice, focus on trying to get your favorite sweep down, or a new guard pass.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I usually feel beat-up, spent, and happy. Sometimes I have a bad losing streak and get frustrated (which only makes it worse) but I usually make fun of myself and joke about what a great job my training partners did.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I usually feel pretty good mentally when i leave the gym but im always physically tired when i leave though. I always feel like i have accomplished something.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    I feel like the man when I leave.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    I used to feel like this sometimes. Chances are if you feel like you're not learning then you're not learning nearly as much as you could be. The problem tends to be retention, try this: lets say during the instruction portion your instructors are showing moves from back control, you could do them in class and then during open gym just roll. In most cases you may be in that position once maybe twice during that hour and you may or may not get a chance to use the techniques that you just went over in class, then you go home and forget them. But if you spend that hour drilling that position(Starting with one partner on the back with hooks in and going until one guy escapes or the other guy submits) then you get a chance to see and use those techniques over and over again not only solidifying those memories but you also start to develop the sensitivity to react to all the little variables that can pop up when you go for a move.
    Staying disciplined when people just wanna roll for fun and drilling has truly taken my game to the next level.
    At my gym we spend a week working different attacks/escapes from a particular position before moving on so I've been drilling just one position in open gym for a week at a time and I NEVER feel like that anymore. Hope that helps.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    When I walk into the gym I feel like I'm at home. Somedays you need to get out of it and have some fun and others days its the only place you want to be!

Array

School
    Destruction MMA
    great replies. I eventually want to fight professionally. not that concerned about making it "big" but i just want to fight. i have a good time, it's still fun...i think the main problem is convincing myself that i'm in there to get better, not too see how good i am right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast