Thread: Sore Knee

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys

Sore Knee

My right knee has been sore for about 3 months now. It does not feel like it is a tear or anything, but every time i full extend or bend my knee i feel this soreness around the joint ( not in or on). I was wondering what you guys do as far as a home rehab for your knees when they feel similar to speed up the healing process without taking time off training.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Vagisil or glucosamine chondroitin. Your choice.

Array

School
    Masters martial arts Franklin,tn
    Sounds like you may have fluid build up, or something called patella-femurol syndrome which means you have a lack of cartilage between your knee cap and your femur... the best thing to do is leg press and squats and any hard surface exercises that can get ur leg used to the pressure your body delivers on step impact. Its basically just a rebuilding phase and in six weeks if you work your legs out, knee flexibility, hip flexibility, and ham string flexibility you will see this as a distant memory. Fish oil is also excellent for this process

Array

School
    Five Stones Fight Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachtheripper19 View Post
    Sounds like you may have fluid build up, or something called patella-femurol syndrome which means you have a lack of cartilage between your knee cap and your femur... the best thing to do is leg press and squats and any hard surface exercises that can get ur leg used to the pressure your body delivers on step impact. Its basically just a rebuilding phase and in six weeks if you work your legs out, knee flexibility, hip flexibility, and ham string flexibility you will see this as a distant memory. Fish oil is also excellent for this process
    i had the samething and did something like this and it did help so try it out...

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachtheripper19 View Post
    I take fish oil daily and will start doing the exercises. One question though, is knee flexibility a good thing? I mean I have been told by others that you want your knees as solid as possible and your hips as flexible as possible. They look at knee flexibility as a potential to get injured, however I also heard Joe Rogan praise the knee flexibility of BJ Penn many times so I am not sure which way to go.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    I take fish oil daily and will start doing the exercises. One question though, is knee flexibility a good thing? I mean I have been told by others that you want your knees as solid as possible and your hips as flexible as possible. They look at knee flexibility as a potential to get injured, however I also heard Joe Rogan praise the knee flexibility of BJ Penn many times so I am not sure which way to go.
    It is my understanding that everything in your knee is pretty much connective tissue and does NOT need to be stretched.
    Most of the time when you hear people talking about knee flexibility they're actually talking about the flexibility/range of motion in your hip rotators. Sit in a chair put one foot on your opposite knee and gently push down on your knee to gain this type of flexibility, and it'll help you get into lotus and such.

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte
    Patellar-Femur syndrome is usually accompanied by crepitis(crunching/popping sound) when the patella is palpated or pushed side to side. You probably have some stress of the two outer connecting ligaments (the MCL or LCL), tendonitis, bursitis or IT band syndrome. To help the healing process I suggest you take naproxen 250mg-300mg doses 3 times a day with food. This will reduce any inflammation to promote good oxygenated blood flow to the area. (r)ICE is a good ditty to use....Rest or Rehab, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Try that and if you have any questions...just ask.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Thank you guys for the helpful and intelligent responses.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    I tore my lateral collateral ligament about 2 years ago and my knee has never felt the same. I just use a knee brace when it feels weak or hurts. Whatever I'm doing Jiu Jitsu wise, it's with a bum knee that gives me no real strength or stability. But I still go full steam ahead and I'm doin' alright.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com