Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

What Do We Really Know About Jon Jones?

First of all, I believe Jon Jones to have more potential than probably any other prospect in MMA. He might even beat Shogun. That being said, am I the only one that still sees him as that - a prospect? Here's a few reasons why I think the hype train, though it may be right, is way too far in overdrive.

Dire Straights: I think this matters a lot, especially in regards to odds making. We have never seen Jones injured, in bad position, or down points. Fighters learn a lot about themselves and what works when they lose, and especially when they get cracked. Many top prospects have gone the way of the dodo after eating a few hard shots and realizing they can't take it. Maybe Jones can brutalize Shogun, but he will likely eat some power shots before he does. Who knows if he can shake off 15 of Rua's leg kicks and a few flurries. If he can, we have a new P4P contender. But until then, I don't see how this guy can be going off at as much as -210/+170! I'm hoping to make a ton off of this fight.

Fight length: Jones has not reached the 3rd round in over 2 years. He looks like he can go for 10 hours, but we won't know until we see it.

Experience: Jones has 13 fights, 7 in anything approaching a serious organization. Shogun has 23 fights, 18 in PRIDE or UFC. He has seen in that time way more different styles, body types, speeds, etc., and he should be able to compensate based on past obstacles.

Opposition: Jones has looked amazing in every fight, but against who? How do you think Shogun, or any top-5 fighter at LHW, would look against this list of Jones' entire UFC career? Gusmao, Bonnar, O'Brien, Hamill, Vera, Matushenko, Bader. The fact is, Bader is the only top-10 he has ever faced, and was most definitely not yet top-5. How can we know whether he is really amazing, or just amazing at making 2nd-tier fighters look terrible? Tito did the same thing for a long time...until he fought Liddell. Marquardt seems to obliterate 2nd tier fighters, but fails more often than not against the top tier. On the other hand, Shogun has faced nothing but top opponents since April of 2005, and he has faced 14 people since then. Not to mention he won the PRIDE Grand Prix, which is insane.

I've been writing MMA articles for a bit, don't know why I have not posted them on here. What do you all think, is this worth a write-up?

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    well i hate reading big posts, but you kept me reading till the very end, so go for it man.
    you make a ton of good points, finishing fights all the time is nothing compared t the experience and wisdom gained from fighting 15 minute wars against geniuine proffesionals. i backed jones against bader and was excited when i saw he was given the title shot. but i dont think hes ready for it yet, maybe 3-4 fights with some top guys and he would be in a perfect position for it. i think if he did beat shogun he could lose it just as quick, everyone would want a piece of jones.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    I think it's worth a write up. I've been starting to write mma articles and covering local events....then found out that it is very hard to actually enjoy a fight that you are covering.

As far as Jones: All of your points are valid. Although, I am not sure who else there is for him to fight. You have rampage, machida, rashad and rua in the elite class. Machida is fighting randy couture, can't remember who rampage is fighting. Basically, you have those 4 fighters, then Bones Jones. The only way he can be considered elite is if he beats one of the four.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Rampage is fighting thiago silva where he will also get destroyed like jones will

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    One thing you know is you never know.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    This will be a easy fight for Jones. Please watch Shogun's fight with Mark Coleman (ufc fight) After knee surgery or watch his Forrest Griffin fight after his knee surgery. Shogun will not be 100%!!! Sorry your not getting the odds you want, but Jon "Bones" Jones Wins!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    I'm usually the first one to criticize a fighter receiving excessive or undue hype, and as much as I'd love to hate on bones and as much as I do agree with a lot of what you have said, I still don't see anyone at LHW beating bones except maybe machida or anderson silva... anderson vs bones would be the fight i want to see to truly test bones. The old shogun would have a good shot at beating bones, hed have a good shot at beating anyone during his prime, but in 2011... Jones will walk thru shogun, sorry oldtime pride fans, but its inevitable.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Bones couldnt even put away bonnar. Theres no way in hell hes beating shogun...sorry bones nuthuggers

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Bones has beat a washed up vera, the janitor who sucks and had undue hype behind his ass and beat bader who was also hyped up way to much,,hahaha

Array

School
    HQ/Van Nuys
    The only times Bonnar was "finished" were both stoppages due to cuts. Nobody has put Bonnar away. Besides, the dude is only 23 years old and that fight was 2 years ago. I'm sure he's a completely different fighter than he was back then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast