NEWS: Why Rampage turned down Shogun fight this weekend

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson today responded to Rua's revelation that "Rampage" turned down a title shot that subsequently was given to Jon "Bones" Jones at UFC 126. The title-fight slot opened when Rashad Evans recently went down with a knee injury.

"I'm not taking a fight on four weeks' notice ," Jackson said in an exclusive interview with MMAjunkie.com. "It's not enough time to get ready for a five-round fight. Dana knows that. And 'Shogun,' he's a fighter, and he should know that. He shouldn't even go and say s--- like that with him being a fighter. He saw me at the fight this weekend. Everybody saw how big I am."

Jackson currently is scheduled to fight Thiago Silva at UFC 130. If he had taken the Rua fight, he'd have just six weeks to prepare. Right now, he has 12 weeks until UFC 130.

"I'm 250 pounds, and I would have to lose 45 pounds in, what, three or four weeks? The first time I fought 'Shogun,' I was injured going into that fight, and it's haunted me all the way up to now. I always believed the second time I fight 'Shogun' that I'm going to be close to 100 percent as possible."

So for now, he plans to focus on Silva.

Read entire article: http://mmajunkie.com/news/22383/ramp...ht-decline.mma

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    makes since...only way he could have took the fight was if he was already in camp. I'm sure he wasn't going to start camp for Silva till probably march or so?

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    It does make sense, but what is Rampage thinking walking around at 250 pounds? That just sounds unhealthy for a man's knees.