What has Jiu Jitsu taught You?

Jiu Jitsu. Just a simple wording. I've had people mistake me saying "I'm reading a Jiu Jitsu book" for "I'm reading a Gypsy book". There a lot of people that don't understand Jiu Jitsu. You see it's not just a way of submitting an opponent or a way of escaping a large attackers mount. Those things are wonderful of course. But to me Jiu Jitsu is my life. I think about Jiu Jitsu more than eating, breathing, more than work, more than anything in the world. I don't consider myself to be good at Jiu Jitsu. I've been training a tad bit over a year. I was in different styles of Karate my whole life but it's nothing like Jiu Jitsu is. I don't care if it's Gi or no Gi or if you are wearing a oven apron with mittens (bet you hadn't heard that word in a while) I have passion about Jiu Jitsu.

I go about my daily way, working, hanging with friends, goofing off, yet Jiu Jitsu is always on my mind. People that know nothing about the art don't understand why I'm studying something called the X guard. They say why would you be in that position in a fight. Truth is a real fight may not end up in the X guard. However Jiu Jitsu is a damn Universe. So yeah you might be bigger and stronger but you don't know Jiu Jitsu. And if you don't know Jiu Jitsu you don't know that hip bump sweep I'm fixing to use to get you off me big man. Once that happens I have turned the battle into my favor. Imagine the black belts that have trained forever (Gracies, Marcelo, Eddie) they are products of true hardships and love for the art.

Passion. What is Passion? You have passion for your wife and kids? Yes. You have passion for a job you enjoy? Yes. But what about training? Do you have passion for training? I would never give up training. I get crushed all the time but I'm like a damn Role Playing Game. Every battle I get stronger and learn something. Just like tonight I hit X guard sweeps on everyone but one person. I didn't tap to anyone tonight. I feel as if I have gained a level in that sense. But even when I do get tapped (which happens alot) I draw from my experience. This can be related to every day life. Sometimes shit in life gets bad and you have to improve your position. I may be mounted right now but that half guard is just a shrimp away and my problem will be neutralized if I just relax and breathe a little bit.

All in all I have learned a lot of things from training. It drives me and motivates me. Like I told my first instructor I feel like a different person on the mats. People see me in everyday life and don't get to see the real me. The real me is when I'm in that dojo or gym and training my ass off. That's when I feel like I can truely express who I am. I am a person of much dedication and humility. I ask you tonight Nibiru Forum.......what has Jiu Jitsu taught you? Peace my friends.

Jiu Jitsu has taught me alot ,but to sum it up i learned that even sitting on by couch i can work on my rubber guard flexabilty

That's awesome to see such passion for anything. I on the other hand treat BJJ as a hobby, not a lifestyle. I've only given BJJ this much focus and dedication so I can get good at it quick. When that happens, I'll start doing it a lot less and move on to other things in life. I don't think BJJ has necessarily taught me anything but it has validated things I've already known, which is great.

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    Humility above all things. Getting tapped by a girl on my first night threw me for a loop at first. True story.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    taught me to not be a little bitch!

:-D

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    taught me to not be a little bitch!

:-D
    awh, well if that doesnt work out, your welcome to be my little bitch

Jiu Jitsu taught me to think a lot more, to try and see things from another perspective to help me from my point of view.
    and how not to be such a lazy fuck

Array

School
    11th Dimension
    taught me i still cant read long posts. oh and that i can now hurt people without hitting them.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    How to use that internet.