Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant

Spiderweb tips pretty please =D

Hello,
    I'm starting to drill some subs from the Spiderweb. I asked one of the blue shirts at my gym to train with me and I asked him to try to escape my spiderweb with me just trying to hold it. I had a deep hook on his arm, and I had my other arm under the near leg and over his far leg. He squiggled out and stacked me every attempt for like 20 attempts.
    Is there a set of ground rules on how to maintain the spiderweb position so that I can work my subs?

Ty All,
    Kiko

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    are you keeping pressure down on him with your legs? to stop him from sitting up?

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    are you keeping pressure down on him with your legs? to stop him from sitting up?
    My leg closest to his leg is trying to push his far arm away so that I'm threatening the straight arm bar, my leg close to his face is usually trying to either leg curl his head closer to me to lessen his wiggle space.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    hmm. its hard to picture in my head.. but do you mean as if his hands were locked and you were pushing the far arm to open his grip? or that his grip was already broken and you were just doing it to keep it that way? either way, one thing that might help is to keep the foot closer to his legs under the far armpit unless youre looking for a triangle. just because if its not, he could use that arm to push your leg up over his head to sit up. and if you are trying to break the grip.. it might be more effective to try the douche-bag instead of using your other leg.. or possibly the silverado.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    hmm. its hard to picture in my head.. but do you mean as if his hands were locked and you were pushing the far arm to open his grip? or that his grip was already broken and you were just doing it to keep it that way? either way, one thing that might help is to keep the foot closer to his legs under the far armpit unless youre looking for a triangle. just because if its not, he could use that arm to push your leg up over his head to sit up. and if you are trying to break the grip.. it might be more effective to try the douche-bag instead of using your other leg.. or possibly the silverado.
    when doing drills, I'm working spiderweb always under the assumption that he's got his hands gripped and going from there. So yeah, his hands were locked and I was pushing the far arm to open the grip.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    ok thats what i was picturing. then yeah.. it would be better to do the douche-bag. which i assume you know but if not it just means instead of pushing on his far arm with your leg.. you take the leg towards his head and push on his neck with that foot. and as for the silverado.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WdzbQOMGQ < thats the link. there's a bunch of other breaks also. it just depends what works for you and how they are gripping.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    The way i do the spider web is deep hook, hook the near leg and cross my feet under the far arm, right under the tricep. Worry about controlling before worrying about the grip break. And most importantly repetition repetition repetition.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Check out MTS Episode #14. At 17 minutes in Eddie discusses why you cross your legs in the spider web and where your legs should be crossed. Essentially there's two counters you need to stop.. them getting up to their knees and them cork screwing out. Your control of their legs and of their upper body is what restricts this.

Array

School
    While in spiderweb, and I have the deep arm hook and the near leg underhooked, is it advisable to s grip my hands if he tries to extend his near leg out? Or should I just leg go of the near leg underhook, *perhaps pushing away at his far leg while he tries to do that*

Array

School
    Off to another day of trying to work 1/2 guard sweeps, and trying not to get so easily reversed in the spiderweb position. =D Drill it to perfection right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast