Question about time off...

I was planning on taking a majority of the next three months off for focused training on weights and strength. My question is, has anyone else done this? And would anyone say you would notice a decline in any skills or ability?

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield, MO
    You know what I know I'm just a white belt and I don't usually put my opions on here, but I would rather train more of my jits than my strength. To an extent strength doesn't mean shit in jiu jitsu (ex: marcelo Garcia vs ricco rodriguez) . I used to try to lift weights and run and shit like that then I decided to put forth the time I was using for that and instead starting using that time for jiu jitsu. Just puting in my 2 cents.

I think a combination of jits and strength conditioning would be optimal. You can strength train hard for 3 months, but if you don't keep up with it after the three months you will lose whatever gains you made, not to mention being a bit rusty when coming back to jits. I would suggest weight training on your days off from jits. Also, weight training can shorten muscle length, and unless you are really stretching properly and often, you may lose some flexibility. If you do both you will be able to keep the flexibility up by just going to class and stretching when you are really warm. It's hard to get your body as pliable as it is after training jj.