Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Definitely some scary stuff. My nephew had some serious brain trauma and the family still doesn't know what sort of personality has unfolded since it takes time to see how these things will flesh out. He seems okay, but another friend of mine came out of a coma with short term memory loss, mood swings, and the inability to know when something was inappropriate to say. Totally happier dude overall, but not the same guy.

Even as an atheist I still held out belief that there had to be an afterlife just off of the tenuous presumption that the nature of all memories is in hindsight, which implies that in the future that there would have to be some storage medium for all of that data. As if your "soul" existed in a cloud server connecting with your consciousness and body on earth.

It was a silly rationalization though, since clearly my computer can operate without a cloud server and just because I can access information now doesn't mean that it won't crash tomorrow, losing all of my data.
    Yeah I've just accepted the fact that there is no afterlife. I mean if you really think about it once we are dead we there will be no knowing of our exsistence or anything that has ever happened. It will be like before we were born. Nothingness. Makes life seem important and having birthdays a nuisance lol. I'm not sold out to the supernatural happenings that people claim. People are superstitious.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Speaking in terms of logic, it is equaly illogical to be an Atheist as it is to be a person of any faith. Both beliefs have an equal amount of evidence backing them. There is just as much evidence that god exists as there is that god doesn't exist. The only logical decision at that point is to be Agnostic and admit to yourself that the truth value of certain claims, especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims are unknowable.

Argument for existance of god = Argument against the existance of god

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Maxwell View Post
    Both beliefs have an equal amount of evidence backing them. There is just as much evidence that god exists as there is that god doesn't exist.
    This isn't even true. There is no evidence that god exists. You can say there isn't any evidence that he does not exist, but that would be redundant. There is no evidence that there is no gremlin living at the center of the earth that steals one sock from the washing machine, and leaves you with an odd number. You cannot disprove me if I said that this gremlin does exist.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Speaking in terms of logic, it is equaly illogical to be an Atheist as it is to be a person of any faith. Both beliefs have an equal amount of evidence backing them. There is just as much evidence that god exists as there is that god doesn't exist. The only logical decision at that point is to be Agnostic and admit to yourself that the truth value of certain claims, especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims are unknowable.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. I don't have an argument or belief that a god doesn't exist. I just lack the belief of a God. Just as you have no reason to believe in the Aztec God Xiuhcoatl (or you could, I am presuming here), I too have no need to believe in any God.

Would I label you as a "Anti-Xiuhcoatl-ist"? No, your just a dude who never bothered to know or care about Xiuhcoatl just like I'm just a guy who critically questions the ideas presented to him and finds fault in all theistic beliefs. Atheism is the default position, It takes teaching and raising to become a theist.

To sum it up. The lack of any belief is not a belief in of itself.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

What evidence of god existing? There is no such evidence!

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Daly View Post
    This isn't even true. There is no evidence that god exists. You can say there isn't any evidence that he does not exist, but that would be redundant. There is no evidence that there is no gremlin living at the center of the earth that steals one sock from the washing machine, and leaves you with an odd number. You cannot disprove me if I said that this gremlin does exist.
    It's redundent but true, there is no evidence for or against god. As for the gremlin he could be disproven or proven using a scientific method, the reason you have to come to an Agnostic conclusion when it comes to God is there is no scientific method to be used in the exploration of god to gain evidence leaving you with no evidence either way. A lack of evidence is only evidence when using a scientific method and that lack of evidence is never conclusive proof it's only proof with a verying degree of probability or likelihood.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    When did I say there was?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    The lack of any belief is not a belief in of itself.
    Do you believe this is correct?

"The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. I don't have an argument or belief that a god doesn't exist. I just lack the belief of a God. Just as you have no reason to believe in the Aztec God Xiuhcoatl (or you could, I am presuming here), I too have no need to believe in any God.

Would I label you as a "Anti-Xiuhcoatl-ist"? No, your just a dude who never bothered to know or care about Xiuhcoatl just like I'm just a guy who critically questions the ideas presented to him and finds fault in all theistic beliefs. Atheism is the default position, It takes teaching and raising to become a theist.

To sum it up. The lack of any belief is not a belief in of itself.
    Atheism as defined by websters
    n.
    1.Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    2.The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Atheism is ones personal belief that there is no creator or god in saying "I'm an Athiest", you are taking the God doesn't exist belief as your own. That isn't a default position, its is the faith that there is no creator or god. A belief in nothing is still a belief. The default option would be Agnosticism and just accepting and admitting that its not a knowledge that we as humans have an ability to obtain (yet, if ever).

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    Creation itself is evidence of some sort of designer to me. (notice i said to me, it wont be to everyone) I dont think that particles have just been floating through space for an eternity. I believe time started somewhere. And whether you believe in the big bang, creation, or whatever else, It HAD to start somewhere. There had to be a beginning to the universe. So you could either believe 1 impossibility or the other. God has been around forever and created time and everything we see, or everything we see has been around forever in some form or another.. either way, it calls for an scientific impossibility. nothing can exist without a beginning. Thats why i think its stupid to argue about religion vs science.. it all calls for "impossibilities". So you could say that according to science, neither makes sense. Which would be true. But for some reason as christians when we admittedly admit the fact that we believe in certain scientific impossibilities, we are looked at as idiots. When in reality, we all do it in some form or another. But how about this.. Since we are all having this conversation.. I feel like its an opportunity for me to learn. So I have some questions for whoever they might pertain to. And in no way am i asking any of these because i'm trying to prove a point.. i literally am just asking because I love learning the way others think and like to keep an open mind to help me understand the world better. So..

1. When it comes to evolution.. for the ones who believe we started from wither a plasma or single cell of some sort. If over millions or billions of years we developed into where we are now, how did it all evolve in a way that allowed for our organs to be useful before they were arranged the way they are now.. for instance, it would be pointless for me to have eyes without nerves leading to my brain, or for me to have a butthole without intestines. So how did the evolutionary process allow for these things to develope one without the other? what would have been the point of having a heart without blood vessels? I hope this makes sense the way im wording it. For instance, Its not like our DNA was smart enough to plan evolution ahead and say "in 10 million years i want to be able to see, so i think ill start working on that now my gradually evolving the nerves and brain that will be required to use the eyes that will come around that time". And again, dont take this as a personal attack on the theory, I obviously am aware that there is an actual scientific theory to how it happened, and thats the answer im looking for. From someone who knows enough to respond in a way that makes sense and so i will be better able to understand your views.

2. For Christians, (and i have my own personal opinion on this but i would like to hear others views because i know mine isnt the only one) But how would you say it is possible that God (and im talking about the christian God of the Bible in this instance), Was able to create Satan with the ability to sin if there was no sin in God?

3. For the ones who believe we evolved from monkeys (if that is still even a theory, im not positive), How do you believe it was that monkeys remained, and humans remained, but all of the links between died off? why is there no 1/2 monkey 1/2 man, or any other percentage of man/monkey mix any longer?

4. For atheists- I know in the Christian community it's believed that God "Wrote the law upon our hearts". in other words, universally we know right from wrong. We dont have to be taught that killing is bad for no reason. We know within ourselves that its wrong because of our "conscience". We feel bad when we do certain things. Whats the atheistic view on why this happens? Why do we have a conscience about certain things that would seem ultimately beneficial in the animal kingdom. For instance cheating on a spouse seems to be instilled in us. Whereas when you look at it from an animalistic stand point it would only be better for the reproduction cycle. So where do you believe this natural awareness of good/evil comes from?

Again, i hope nobody takes these questions personally or in the wrong way.. I would love to get a good response to all of them. Maybe it would help us all understand each other a little. And also, I'd agree.. compared to most forums.. people on here have responded to the religious one pretty mature/respectfully for the most part. also.. Woot 10th planet!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast