Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    I'm done andy, believe who you want.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCdoctr View Post
    I too was concerned about what that would look like. I'm a long time lurker and after reading this thread I felt compelled to finally sign-up. Like I said, I don't want to be thought of as a deceitful person here. Skepticism is normal and healthy when viewing outsiders, but if you guys believe me to be a fraud then I can hyperlink the 2 state board website that lists where I'm listed as a full-time and active practitioner. Also if that's not enough you can contact the state board of examiners and link my name, work address, and work number. After that you can call me and thus ease this state paranoia.
    If we were discussing arm bars, and you posted a technique video wearing a black belt, it would be standard protocol to ask for verification of your lineage and proof of your belt certificates.

When discussing back/spinal injuries I would imagine that the standards for validation would be quite a bit higher. I think it's awesome that you are offering your assistance but you gave some fairly presumptive remedies from an online diagnosis. I've never seen a doctor act so decisively from an online diagnosis before.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    What is nice is though that there are people like you guys who care in these forums and hop on to intervene when you detect some kind of wrong doing or misguided advice. So AJ and Pete, Thank you.
    However I personally don't see any wrong doing here yet. All he did tell me is that moist heat may help, which I was doing anyways and may be able to hook me up with a some cheap chiropractor sessions. I see what you are saying Pete also and I will try to see a doctor if I can, but I have not seen him say anything that would jeopardize my back even worse than it already is. This may be due to my lack of knowledge on the subject so I am not sure.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quoting Pete: I would start with rest ice and elevation. Ice as much as you can, lay down with an ice pack and a couple pillows under your back as often as you can.

Is this Ice therapy going to help even though the I got injured like 2-3 weeks or maybe even way before than? I thought it was good if you applied it on the injured area right away.

Array

School
    Looking, but have a friend who owns a Vortex MMA gym in the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Daly View Post
    How is that obvious? And of course soft tissue affects the joint, but there's no way you can know if it is indeed a soft tissue injury without physical examination. You need to feel "where the muscles insert into the bone they become tendons and thus where the sprain is." There's simply no way you can know that without physical examination.
    That was me giving an example of what a sprain is, not diagnosis. Nice analysis

That's not even true. Ice helps swelling regardless of phase, so yes, I think he should continue to ice and elevate his back.
    And that's it? That is why you do what you do and I do what I do. Advising a treatment, ill-advising I might add, and not giving treatment times is negligent at best. You don't even give the guy the benefit of mentioning contraindications. He could have Raynaud's phenomenon, impaired circulation cold urticaria, cold allergic conditions, anemia. I could go on. That's a good way to cause tissue damage...permanent tissue damage.

If you don't know what you're talking about, then you should NOT be giving someone advice
    It's obvious that no matter what is said you're gonna be that know-it-all guy, but you actually know enough to be dangerous. Sure ice can help in certain chronic conditions, but only post exercise to limit inflammation from said exercises. He hasn't been exercising genius, thus why it's okay to use the moist heat. Now if he were in a state where he could exercise I would recommend him not to use it because it would increase inflammation post workout.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Totally irrelevant but I have Raynaud's. I just thought it was funny that it was mentioned. I had to take out the trash in the snow tonight without gloves.... that sucked.

Array

School
    I just know what it means to help those that have zero options. I don't believe this to be a coincidence. I've been here and the previous 10th planet site thousands of times. This one thread compelled me to just go ahead and sign up. I may never post on here again, but I saw someone in need and decided to take action. I'm confident in my skills and have connections through my Alma Mater to some Osteopaths and other Chiropractors that may be able to help Andy without leaching his pocketbook. Believe you me, I know that's not the norm. If it sounds too good to be true then...I know. I stand to gain nothing by this, monetary or otherwise. I'm fine with that. That's part of the great blessing of my profession.

I apologize if I have offended anyone, but am only looking to assist Andy; no strings attached.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    If we were discussing arm bars, and you posted a technique video wearing a black belt, it would be standard protocol to ask for verification of your lineage and proof of your belt certificates.

When discussing back/spinal injuries I would imagine that the standards for validation would be quite a bit higher. I think it's awesome that you are offering your assistance but you gave some fairly presumptive remedies from an online diagnosis. I've never seen a doctor act so decisively from an online diagnosis before.

Array

School
    Totally irrelevant but I have Raynaud's. I just thought it was funny that it was mentioned. I had to take out the trash in the snow tonight without gloves.... that sucked.
    Yeah that does suck, but what is irrelevant?

Array

School
    What I should have said was by you saying that you have Raynaud's is not irrelevant as you can testify what cold can do you.

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy

That's what I'm saying. You can give someone a range of things that might be wrong with them. Sometimes it is narrow, depending on the area of discussion and information provided, and sometimes it is vague. But to be 100% sure about exactly what is wrong with said person is physically impossible, which is what is being implied. Especially when it comes to the back, because it could be a problem with a muscle, ligament, tendon OR SPINE/VERTEBRAE FFS! And there is 0 chance he can know which it is for sure, especially considering the circumstances. Maybe his chronic pain is due to a slipped disc that andy unwittingly suffered earlier, and it recently slipped further out of place. Or the doc may actually be right, but he couldn't possibly know that. Backs are such a common human pain because it is difficult to diagnose, precisely because without x-rays and MRIs, it's simply difficult to tell what is causing the pain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast