Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

headlocks/chokes

can u guys tell me all the chokes in bjj, how they are performed, and what it cuts off wheter it be the air to ure lungs or ure brain
    i dont like the thought of my throat being crushed

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Elton View Post
    can u guys tell me all the chokes in bjj, how they are performed, and what it cuts off wheter it be the air to ure lungs or ure brain
    i dont like the thought of my throat being crushed
    There's way too many chokes to name and your throat will not get crushed so don't worry.

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyBarby View Post
    There's way too many chokes to name and your throat will not get crushed so don't worry.
    Well, there are gogoplatas and ezekials which are windpipe chokes, but that's steady pressure, and for your windpipe to collapse, it would take someone with a badass grip on your neck choking you for a long time. I suppose it's possible, but improbable (I would hope you would tap before then). Most chokes block your carotid arteries (the ones in your neck that you check your pulse with) by disallowing blood-flow from your heart to your brain, causing you to pass out. Being choked out is a terrible sensation, but it happens to everyone.

Enjoy

Im not wprried i just dont like rolling with idiots that are new and think they are bad ass snd only go for rear naked choke

I dont ever planning on holding it long enough to get choked out
    And besides ive noticed ive been getting thrown around for like 6th months in my classes cuz i dont know shit when am i gonna learn anything? I feel like im only using defense and no offense in all my roles and i still get subbed which kills my confidence in going back

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Elton View Post
    I dont ever planning on holding it long enough to get choked out
    And besides ive noticed ive been getting thrown around for like 6th months in my classes cuz i dont know shit when am i gonna learn anything? I feel like im only using defense and no offense in all my roles and i still get subbed which kills my confidence in going back
    Don't roll with idiots because they are likely to hurt you, but don't worry about rear naked choke because if done right it's a blood choke. As for getting thrown around that's the way it is I got absolutely destroyed for the first six months or so it gets frustrating but ts good you're working your defense, just keep training and learning and you'll improve eventually you'll find that you can start working more top game stuff. Don't get discouraged mate.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    You'll learn the hard way. Some dude will slap on a choke where it hurts but you feel fine and after you tap, you can't swallow right for a week.

That would be a windpipe choke. After awhile when somebody is attacking with one, you'll shuffle through your mental Rolodex over what your plans are for the weekend, and if you were planning on hitting up some pork and plantains at Versailles then you'll probably tap out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Daly View Post
    Well, there are gogoplatas and ezekials which are windpipe chokes, but that's steady pressure, and for your windpipe to collapse, it would take someone with a badass grip on your neck choking you for a long time. I suppose it's possible, but improbable (I would hope you would tap before then). Most chokes block your carotid arteries (the ones in your neck that you check your pulse with) by disallowing blood-flow from your heart to your brain, causing you to pass out. Being choked out is a terrible sensation, but it happens to everyone.

Enjoy
    I think there is more danger with that forearm across the throat and gable gripped hands behind the neck choke which seems so popular in mma in these days. I remember I was talking to a Royce black belt one time and he said that they used to teach the rear naked choke to LAPD but the officers would go an apply it on the streets without proper technique and people started to get hurt and now its banned from the law enforcement. I have no proof or source of this. It is just a story, oh and I know how it feels when someone air guillotines or RNC's you. It sucks

Wait wat? Sorry i didnt understand anything you said

why is it that when u get put in a choke that stops thw blood flow u cant breathe but u can still move and use the rest of your body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast