Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    i think they put the salt in the water to get the salinity of the water higher than your body (0.8%) which in turn causes fluid from your body to leave to the bath water. im not sure if thats right or not. i have no idea about the rubbing alcohol.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Someday, we'll have same day weigh ins standardized =D, I hate seeing my buddies or anyone put themselves through this process.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    I heard the green rubbing alcohol opens the pours wider to allow more fluid to escape.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Edit. Pores.

The water from you're body will leave it if you're in a bath with a higher concentration of salt. It's an osmosis process, it would do the same with any other solute. But I have no idea what the alcohol is for.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    Well if you analyzed what is going on, it looks like the first part puts the subject in to a state where they trap alot of heat in the body, then let the body sweat as hard as it could while they try to not let it cool so the sweating process does not stop. So Abolene traps the heat which is good, hot water ofcourse is the source of heat. As far as epsom salt and alcohol, I am not sure. It could be that epsom salt would raise the boiling point of water, therefore you can use hotter water than 100 degrees celsius without losing heat energy to steam formation, but then you would be scolding yourself, maybe water with epsom salt can hold on to heat energy more effectively and longer than water alone.... Alcohol could be the dissolving agent for epsom salt since Esalt does not really dissolve very effectively by itself.
    Alcohol helps maintain peripheral vasodilation, increasing circulation (and thus heat and water exchange) to the skin. The Epsom salts increase the osmolarity of the water so water leaves the skin via osmosis. If you just soak in a hot bath, you'll absorb more water through the skin than you'll lose by sweating. The high external salt concentration ensures water flows up the solute concentration gradient as rapidly as possible.

Array

School
    Team Balance/Team Barncat Binghamton, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANK BARCA View Post
    Good point Kent, maybe its the rubbing of the alcohol that makes it happen.
    The source of heat is obviously the hot water. the abolene traps the heat making you sweat more. the salt is drawing the water out of your body and the rubbing alcohol opens your pores making it a very quick process.

Array

School
    10th planet L.A. Tapout
    Go get colon cleansing. You can lose 3-8 pounds in one day.
    I have a friend that owns a spa and offered me a free one, but I don't agree with the procedure. I'd rather run 5 miles a day than stick a tube up my butt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12