Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    HQ

Great Article By 10th Planet Black Belt Cade Nelson!

From onthemat.com:

Last night Master Eddie Bravo awarded me my black belt. It has been a 9 and half year journey and probably the hardest thing I have done in my life. As I ranked up in belts and got closer and closer to my black belt I often thought of how I would feel and what I would say when it happened. I thought of all the people I needed to thank and the advice I would like to give the lower belts. Well it did not go down like that. I literally just cried like a little bitch. My throat closed up and tears just rolled down my face. All in attendance were very nice and respectful and only some light ribbing afterwords

My Jiu Jitsu career started when I was 28 years old going through the hardest breakup of my life in 2001. I was depressed and unmotivated in life. I had pent up anxiety and angry. I needed a distraction. My brother Scott Nelson had been training with Ralph Gracie and was a blue belt. I had gone to some of the tournament and watched him compete and had sparked an interest. At the time I was living in Eagle Rock CA and there were no Jiu Jitsu academies in the area. There was a karate Dojo down the street from my house and kind of chuckled whenever I drove by. I would peer in and see overweight people kicking and punching there way across the mat. I just always laughed at it. But this day something looked different about the Dojo. There was a banner on the window and when I got closer I made it out "Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu." With out thinking I pulled over and walked in and signed up. I did not talk to the instructor. I only talked to the girl that was behind the counter. I quickly plopped my ATM card down and signed up for a month of classes as well as purchasing a Gi. 2 days later my instruction began.

My first instructor was Renato Santos a Brazilian black belt under Carlson Gracie. He is an excellent teacher but after a few months he went back to Brazil but had trouble returning. (Today I believe he teaches somewhere up north in the SF area.) I next went to the west side to another academy that I will not name. I trained there for some time and got very little instruction. The Brazilian instructor had problems remembering/pronouncing/understanding my name and this caused a very strange dynamic. He would not coach me. When I spared, since he knew my opponents name he would only yell instruction to him. At my first tournament I told him I was going to be at a certain mat in 5 minutes to compete. But he never arrived to coach me. I was so angry and let down that after I got the gold medal I was marching out of the gym to leave when the instructor saw me. When he saw I won the gold he started screaming and yelling and picked me up to take me over to the "head instructor/Owner" and started screaming in joy on what "his" student did. I was angry. I was not even happy I won the tournament. I was just pissed.

I had been training for almost 2 years and I could probably count on my hands the amount of times I had actually submitted someone. And most of the submissions were with people who practically gave the submission away. I was frustrated with the sport. I was frustrated with myself. First day whitebelts would come in and I would not be able to do anything to them. Sometimes I would walk out of the Dojo with frustration tears in my eyes. I watched my peers rank up in belt but here I was not progressing. My only solace was everyone that I would roll with would would say "your technique is so good!" I was ready to quit. In my mind I was "Too small for the sport."

Read More: http://www.onthemat.com/blogs-posts/...tch-my-journey

Array

School
    Next Generation MMA
    Posted this on the other thread, but what a great article.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Awesome, so very much sounds familiar. I hope my jiu-jitsu story can play out in as positive a way as yours Cade.

Array

School
    HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Awesome, so very much sounds familiar. I hope my jiu-jitsu story can play out in as positive a way as yours Cade.
    No Doubt Brian... Congrats On Your Blue Belt Bro!

Array

School
    10th Planet West El Paso
    That's so cool man! That's what I love about jiu jitsu, there is so much depth to it. It truly takes a lifetime to master... Cade, I'm glad you stuck with it bro! Although we didn't really get to know each other that much, the times we rolled or chatted in class you always seemed like a really cool guy. I wish you the best and congrats again!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fredonia Hotbox
    Inspirational!

Array

School
    Angelo Gym Holland
    Great article. thatnks for the inspiration. congrats on your black belt cade.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Gotta love the title..

"Earning my blackbelt!! Crying like a bitch!! My journey..."

Array

School
    NextGenMMA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Great article. I have had many of the same thoughts in my own head over the years. I often wonder if I will ever make it to the black belt level. SOoo many friends an training partners of mine over the years that I was sure would make it there are no longer even in the sport because of injuries, personal issues, money etc. Congrats on fulfilling your dream Cade!! It's something we all aspire to!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast