Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliphate Ishtar Allah View Post
    Everybody is scared to teach leg locks because people get hurt easy.
    People get hurt easy, becasue the teachers don't truely understand leg locks themselves.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Maybe we should have a whole week where we bring in one of the top leg lock instructors in the country to teach us?

Maybe we could begin it on Nov 13th at 10th Planet Decatur?

Brilliant idea!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    People get hurt easy, becasue the teachers don't truely understand leg locks themselves.
    And the victims would rather spazz randomly rather than just giving up and asking how to get out of an attack. I don't even apply heel hooks in class but sometimes guys will worry me when they contort their knee into weird angles to try and force a turn out for an escape from something as simple as a leg lock.

When I compare the spastic spinning heel hook defense of Gurgel or Mike Brown (both versus Imanari) to the calm and controlled heel hook defense of Robson Moura against Ryan Hall, you can see how both Gurgel and Brown were injured.

does anyone know witch arm lock Antonio Peinado pulled on Kamil Uminske? the angle on the stream is bad and i dont have any idea what it could be.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Escaping heel hooks, especially the inverted heel hook is very dangerous even when you know what to do. If you are in a leg control position where your opponent can do a heel hook to you then you already made the mistake. Good awareness will keep you from being in the position to be heel hooked in the first place. And if your opponent has the heel locked up or the toe hold on then it's better to tap than risk a ligament tear... unless you're a pro mma fighter and you are getting paid tens of thousands of dollars. Just my opinion.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    You know you need leg lock defense when you and your friends are white belts, and then one of your buddies watches Erik Paulson Killer Leg locks 1 then the next day submits you 6 times in a row with achilles/straight ankle locks. Learning the defenses you cant help but to learn the offense.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Just learning some leglock basics has helped my defense a ton. The only problem is most of the tournaments around here don't allow reaping the knee and that's how I finish more times than not. I cannot wait until the Herzog seminar to take it to another level.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Philips View Post
    Just learning some leglock basics has helped my defense a ton. The only problem is most of the tournaments around here don't allow reaping the knee and that's how I finish more times than not. I cannot wait until the Herzog seminar to take it to another level.
    Yeah, i've also put time into the old school style of ankle lock where you just pinch your knees around their leg and fall over onto their free leg. Way less control and easy to counter but I added that Bill Cooper leg lock pass (from the Rolled Up episode) and now I can get an easy pass if they engage me with a proper ankle lock defense (the boot while pulling your head) while I'm setting up my grips for the lock.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    And the victims would rather spazz randomly rather than just giving up and asking how to get out of an attack. I don't even apply heel hooks in class but sometimes guys will worry me when they contort their knee into weird angles to try and force a turn out for an escape from something as simple as a leg lock.

When I compare the spastic spinning heel hook defense of Gurgel or Mike Brown (both versus Imanari) to the calm and controlled heel hook defense of Robson Moura against Ryan Hall, you can see how both Gurgel and Brown were injured.
    It was like Galvao said in his interview about Palhares. "He is very dangerous in that position, but I knew I had better jiu-jitsu". Trusting in his technique was what allowed him to defend all Palhares' attacks where EVERYONE else has basically wilted. He was cool as a cucumber in all the leg entanglements and dominated the rest of the match.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gammel View Post
    It was like Galvao said in his interview about Palhares. "He is very dangerous in that position, but I knew I had better jiu-jitsu". Trusting in his technique was what allowed him to defend all Palhares' attacks where EVERYONE else has basically wilted. He was cool as a cucumber in all the leg entanglements and dominated the rest of the match.
    Another great point

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Not suprising.

True. The whole weekend everyone was playing open guard. So, like Dean Lister said(Who won the gold in his weight class all by heel hook), he goes for whatever's available, but guys always seem to put their legs out there so that's what he gets a lot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast