Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco

Phasing out the lockdown

I'm curious: Do people stop using lockdown, or use it only as a last resort, once they become more advanced (say purple belt)?

I just got my blue belt, and lockdown has been my go-to game up to now. I have had success with it in competition, but I've always competed in the beginner division and against guys who have never dealt with it before.

I was always aware of the critics of the lockdown ("You're putting yourself flat on your back"), but I just assumed that they hadn't spent enough time working on it and gave up before they developed it fully. Lately, however, I'm not so sure. I see a lot of guys playing deep half in the higher levels, but I don't think I've ever seen someone play the lockdown game effectively against experienced opponents. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Eddie never seems to use it when rolling with his students.

So, does the lockdown become less applicable the more advanced you get?

Array

School
    Team Shark
    well obviously you need to use more than just 1 half guard, z-guard, deep half, normal half guard all have their time and their place.

lockdown if anything is more advanced.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Carey View Post
    well obviously you need to use more than just 1 half guard, z-guard, deep half, normal half guard all have their time and their place.

lockdown if anything is more advanced.
    Yeah, but we don't spend nearly as much time talking about those other half guards. Lockdown has been featured extensively on Mastering the System. Maybe that's just because Eddie wanted to give people something they couldn't find somewhere else, but it feels like he thinks lockdown is to half-guard what rubber guard is to full guard. In other words, it's a go-to position.

But should it be? If you go for the lockdown and you can't improve the position, you are flat on your back, and those other half guards are even harder to get to.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    How does lockdown = flat?

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    How does lockdown = flat?
    Well, typically you have to whip up or down to get to your side. But if you aren't able to do either of those things, then you are flat on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    I'm curious: Do people stop using lockdown, or use it only as a last resort, once they become more advanced (say purple belt)?

I just got my blue belt, and lockdown has been my go-to game up to now. I have had success with it in competition, but I've always competed in the beginner division and against guys who have never dealt with it before.

I was always aware of the critics of the lockdown ("You're putting yourself flat on your back"), but I just assumed that they hadn't spent enough time working on it and gave up before they developed it fully. Lately, however, I'm not so sure. I see a lot of guys playing deep half in the higher levels, but I don't think I've ever seen someone play the lockdown game effectively against experienced opponents. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Eddie never seems to use it when rolling with his students.

So, does the lockdown become less applicable the more advanced you get?
    Bull shit mate, Eddie goes straight to quarter guard to lockdown and finishes all of his godamn people with that. Either A. ask him or watch him roll live, B. watch mastering the system cuz he rapes people with it. C. watch his you tube rolls almost always equals lockdown to twister side. D. eat a bowl of great gravy dumped on Mashed potatoes. Be good.

Array

School
    Uhh, okay. I guess I'll take a closer look at his rolls.

Array

School
    On the search
    I use the lock-down on purple belts and up when I roll every day. Pulled off a mechanic twice yesterday! What Don said about the great gravy and mash is on the money also.

"You got to have game with that foot!" Take that statement real serious. I screwed up quarter guard so many times it finally clicked. Everyone gets stressed real quick when I dive in and grab their foot now. Stay on the path.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    I was using lockdown in ever match I did today, seemed to work wonders, lockdown , double unders- whip up - electric chair ! they caught on to the electric chair pretty quick tho...

Eddie pulls a foot everytime when he rolls.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast