Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC

Eddie Bravo "stealing" moves

It seems like every time someone wants to complain about 10P, this arguement comes up: that Eddie is not a great innovator, but that he steals techniques from other systems and renames them for 10P purposes.

What is NEVER mentioned in these in these discussions is the reverse ude-garami.

For those who aren't familiar with the reverse ude-garami, it was used by Masahiko Kimura, a Japanese judoka, in his match with Helio Gracie. He used the technique to break Gracie's arm and win the match.

The Gracies liked the technique so much that they incorporated it into their system, calling it the 'kimura' after the man they learned it from.

That being said, why do so many practitioners of Gracie JJ flame on 10P for the very thing their grandmaster did?

Food for thought.

Array

School
    10th planet Hotbox Dawsonville :) North Georgia MMA
    Totally agree! Most people I have trained with think it was totally created by the Gracie's and is Brazilian.... With out the Japanese there would not have been Jiu Jitsu .

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Dylan, no offense to you, but if I hear this one more time.. I mean its always a thread like this and practically verbatum. "The Gracie's took it from Judo, so why do they give Eddie shit?" Literally dozens of threads.

Your walkin into a class full of dudes that major in 10p and jj in general and tellin us what 2+2 equals.

Some guys get it and some hate. Just be happy you get it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    No one here takes the guys that claim Eddie is stealing moves seriously. It preaching to the choir.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Ehrnreiter View Post
    It seems like every time someone wants to complain about 10P, this arguement comes up: that Eddie is not a great innovator, but that he steals techniques from other systems and renames them for 10P purposes.

What is NEVER mentioned in these in these discussions is the reverse ude-garami.

For those who aren't familiar with the reverse ude-garami, it was used by Masahiko Kimura, a Japanese judoka, in his match with Helio Gracie. He used the technique to break Gracie's arm and win the match.

The Gracies liked the technique so much that they incorporated it into their system, calling it the 'kimura' after the man they learned it from.

That being said, why do so many practitioners of Gracie JJ flame on 10P for the very thing their grandmaster did?

Food for thought.
    And the 'Ude-Garami' was the Double Wrist Lock from Catch Wrestling which was incorporated into Judo.

I think its because Eddie is an american that beat Royler honestly. He defeated an accomplished Brazillian Jiu Jitsu hero and it helped him make a name for himself. So I think a lot of hardcore Gracie guys have a grudge against him. I think other people see his advocacy for marijuana (which is no big deal, people make that the point of so much conversation and they shouldn't) and they say "omg drugs are bad, he is a bad role model..." I also think there are a lot of people out there who respect him but we only see the negative. Here is an example; when was the last time you were driving and got home and said "Hey that guy in front of me was such a good driver that was nice", proly never, but i bet you have come and said this "ASS clown cut me off today and i almost flying twistered that bitch!" See what i mean at any rate the only thing you can do is prove our system to the haters on the mat. This is my humble opinion.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Dylan, no offense to you, but if I hear this one more time.. I mean its always a thread like this and practically verbatum. "The Gracie's took it from Judo, so why do they give Eddie shit?" Literally dozens of threads.

Your walkin into a class full of dudes that major in 10p and jj in general and tellin us what 2+2 equals.

Some guys get it and some hate. Just be happy you get it.
    Didn't know this had been done to death. Hadn't seen it on here before. My bad.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    No one here takes the guys that claim Eddie is stealing moves seriously. It preaching to the choir.
    I was just calling out the Kimura part. I know nobody on here thinks Eddie steals.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    And the 'Ude-Garami' was the Double Wrist Lock from Catch Wrestling which was incorporated into Judo.
    (insert Inception joke)

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Here's how Eddie is innovator! He took a wrestling move(guillotine) and made it his own. Eddie made many variations to the twister its not the same old wrestling move just renamed! If you believe it is then be ignorant! Rubber Guard is claimed to been done by Nino first. I still have not seen any evidence!!! But here's how Eddie is a innovator. Eddie has made a WHOLE SYSTEM of the rubber guard!!! Who else can claim this??? No one....end story...its Eddie Bravo's Rubber Guard!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast