Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    If you watch the leg reaping rules video it says "forcing the opponent to turn to defend his knee." There was no turning away to defend the knee.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    I thought the same thing. The opponent had his foot on the floor and his knee on the belly position. Jared had his leg over the knee but the knee was not in danger there I dont think there is a heel hook there. If you watch the video carefully when the opponent is stood up for the DQ you can see where he knee and feet are and they are not in the reaping zone. I think this was an example of bad reffing applied to a terrible rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    If you watch the leg reaping rules video it says "forcing the opponent to turn to defend his knee." There was no turning away to defend the knee.
    i asked hillary the same question and referenced the ibjjf reaping rule video. I too asked how it could be considered reaping and wouldn't the top guy's leg need to be on the opposite side of Jared's body? she replied:

Assume you are playing open guard and I am standing to pass. If my same-side leg (your right, my left) passes your hip on the inside, the outside foot cannot cross over the center line. It does, but mostly because the top guy pushes it and crouches down. So the ref should wait and watch, does bottom guy try to move his leg in any way? if he does, you stop the position, put the foot on the hip and LUTE. If he doesn't, DQ for not knowing rules.

so basically, she says in situations like this that involve a scramble and an unintentional reap, the reaper must make an effort to remove the reaping leg.

I think ibjjf needs to make a better instructional video on what is considered a reap!

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    It's unfortunate but it' in the rules. You want to play in their tournament, you unfortunately need to play by their rules. I think it's a retarded rule as well but again, it's in the rules. Just don't cross your outside leg passed the center line and everything is fine.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPagesJJ View Post
    It's unfortunate but it' in the rules. You want to play in their tournament, you unfortunately need to play by their rules. I think it's a retarded rule as well but again, it's in the rules. Just don't cross your outside leg passed the center line and everything is fine.
    "Assume you are playing open guard and I am standing to pass. If my same-side leg (your right, my left) passes your hip on the inside, the outside foot cannot cross over the center line. It does, but mostly because the top guy pushes it and crouches down. So the ref should wait and watch, does bottom guy try to move his leg in any way? if he does, you stop the position, put the foot on the hip and LUTE. If he doesn't, DQ for not knowing rules." -Hillary IBJJF Ref
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    blank
    it was clearly an illegal position but it was totally due to the scramble where jared was trying to keep his guard from being passed.

it was bs that the ref stepped in so quickly as he didn't have any time to get his leg out. if the ref was going to step in so fast it think it should have been a warning.

hell, his competitor shouldn't have let them stop it. i wouldn't want to win from that.

Array

School
    Stallion Gym / Arte Suave Stuttgart
    This is making me so mad... it looks like his opponent is crying about that "reap" and wants the DQ win... lame.

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    thats total bs, if hed actually gone for the submission then sure DQ him, but he wasnt making any attempt to do it so why not see what happens next. its like if you got someone in basball bat control and they DQ you for doing the twister, a horseshit call. sorry jared Jared you looked good up till then buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    It is and it isn't bullshit.

It is technically reaping the knee, as the player has his opponent's leg trapped between his, and the player's outside leg crosses the line of the hip.

It's bullshit in that knee reaps in general aren't inherently dangerous. It's a rule that is purely in place to encourage guard passing over leg attacks.

The call could have gone either way, honestly. While it is technically a reaping of the knee, it wasn't the conventional outside leg triangle that causes most knee reaps. There was no danger to the opponent's knee, but the leg did cross the hip line. Very strict interpretation of the rule, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gammel View Post
    I think his foot crossed the hip-line, you can see it snaked across to the other hip, but wouldn't his opponent's leg have had to be on the other side of Jared's body for him to be reaping the knee?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast