Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Yockel View Post
    As one of Herzog's long time students I can jump in here from him. What many off you dont know is Herzog spent his early years competing in full contact bingo on the world level (most events are underground). He still holds fastest bingo/tko in the world at 2:45 seconds in the 1st round. Not going to rehab for all the injuries added up! So he switched to combat sports, so he could still train into his later years.
    LOL...good stuff Scott!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Chiropractors are labeled as quacks but so are any other natural healing professions. Doctors really push those pain meds and unecessary surgeries cause that's how they get paid . Pretty unfortunate
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    shadowhouse jj 10th planet ronin
    The chiro will make you a new person I believe because I use to train alot of Bingo myself and its rough on the body now its nogi and loving it bra!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    Chris with all respect , what would you do differently 20 yrs ago if you were to start over 100% injury free?

What mistakes have you made along the way that you're paying for now and how much do you put wear and tear down to just being part of the game, ie unavoidable?

Thanks
    For myself, I wouldn't change a thing. I have no regrets, just experiences, the path I've taken to better my understanding of human physiology & kinesiology is a result of of the training and injuries I've accrued over the years. Most due to football coaches whose only concern were winning, and under educated martial arts instructors ignorant to modern coaching and training methodologies.
    However I educated myself on those things and continue to do so for my students and fighters. I don't want them to go through what I did, and now they don't have to.

So how can you help yourself? Buyer beware. Research your coach/instructor as you would a house or car before you buy it. Its your body and you want someone to guide you along this journey that has the same amount of respect for your health as you do.

*I came from a traditional martial arts background*, the truth is most are fucking horrible for your body. Why? Because most "instructors" only know their martial art, they are not students of the human body. They don't evolve as does our knowledge of the human body. Even with confronted with the evidence they continue to teach it the way they were taught regardless of the consequences to their students. I'm sure I'll hear, "well at my school we evolve and change things", maybe so, but that’s not the norm. Most Martial Arts instructors are not Doctors , physical therapists, etc. Hell most of the ones I've trained with were mechanics, cooks, shop teachers, etc., they just didn't have the knowledge or desire to educate themselves further, as a result the wear and tear adds up.

Some things that can help your longevity:
    1) Listen to your body, if you have something that hurts, address it, rest and rehab it.
    2) Become a student of your body and mind, its all part of the Jiu Jitsu journey, its not just technique and rolling!
    3) Ask questions! If the answer you get doesn't satisfy your concerns, keeping asking until it does, or until you realize they don't know the answer.
    4) Ask yourself this, Is your coach/instructor as concerned with your safety as much or more so than you are?
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie vasquez View Post
    How do u know?
    Really? You'd have to be Helen Keller to be that ignorant
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie vasquez View Post
    let me ask you this, because im sure you think 9/11 was an inside job
    where did you get all your info on it being an inside job? the internet?
    Why would you think that?

Of course I read things on the internet, it doesn't mean I believe everthing I read. I continue to educated myself on a topic, listening to both sides, then make a decision based on my research. Its about seperating the signal from the noise, or taking everything you read with a grain of salt.

Array

School
    Lotus Club JJ
    I used to go to the Chiro around a year ago and I got I believe was called "subfluxation" where they would crack your neck or adjust it in certain ways so that the central highway that is your spine can send everything it needs throughout your body better and heal it self, I enjoyed and believe it kinda worked but I couldnt afford the $200/mo and since you cant just go for 4 or 5 months its gotta be done multiple times for years and from what Im hearing from some people even for the rest of their life.

So I just make sure to strech properly before and after class I dont know if it helps but sure is cheap lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post
    Coach: I started taking a deer antler velvet supplement a little while back and it's really helped me with recovery and injury repair. Deer antler velvet is a natural source of insulin-like growth factor-1. The production of IGF-1 is one of the molecules that growth hormone stimulates, but by taking it directly you don't have the problems that come from taking hormones like HGH. HGH stimulates a whole cascade of hormones and messenger molecules and IGF-1 is only one of them. Bypassing the HGH means you don't have to worry about suppressing your own production of hormones.

I read about NFL trainers and athletes using deer antler supplements to speed injury recovery and they've had monster success with it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Couldn't be happier.

I'm sure Kathy has/can get more information and sources for the best extracts. The one I've been using is a sublingual spray from Nutronics (10,000ng). It's really been a godsend. I take it right after training and once before bed. I've had far fewer mornings where getting out of bed is the most painful part of the day.
    I know shes heard of it, we've had discussions about it before. Its actually on a lists of things to try out. Right now I'm using DHEA its been a few month, and has seemed to help, but I'm adding a few things to the mix right now to see how that works out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by DBK View Post
    the stuff i have read (and heard) that is bad with chiropracters is neck related stuff. Where they try to reset your neck by applying pressure in the wrong spots. this would be an example, http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CTVNewsAt1...ctvnews860335/

that being said, i did get my back cracked in place years ago and it did feel a lot better but that was only temporary. My posture was bad, it did me a whole lot better going to physio than getting it cracked back in all the time.
    Its really ignorance that most people associate chiropractors with just "adjustments", don't misunderstand me, its a part of it, and with some Docs thats what they focus on. Sessions I go to involve, diothermy sessions, adjuments, active release therapy, electric stim therapy, and specfic to me tractioning of my hip (dislocating it) to re-educate the muscles around it to fire off properly, and some massage.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Yockel View Post
    As one of Herzog's long time students I can jump in here from him. What many off you dont know is Herzog spent his early years competing in full contact bingo on the world level (most events are underground). He still holds fastest bingo/tko in the world at 2:45 seconds in the 1st round. Not going to rehab for all the injuries added up! So he switched to combat sports, so he could still train into his later years.
    1) its was at 1:45 of the first round, and he was an asshole anyway.
    2) those were underground and you weren't supose to speak of them!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast