Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Fe/Nova Uniao

Ankle pain when Stretching

Been getting back into rubber guard after leaving an unorthodox MMA gym and heading to a legit traditional Nova Uniao school. Used a little 10th planet top game, but not too much rubber guard as I am trying to work the techniques of my school. Regardless, I have decided to incorporate a lot of 10th Planet back in my game but now when I do some of the more intensive stretches (yes I know I should have been doing these all along) I get crazy amounts of pain in my ankles. Things like lotus position.

Anybody else have these problems? For me the stretch ends because of ankle pain, not because the joints/ligaments are relaxed. Any remedies?

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu
    if your hips aren't that flexible, you ankles might be getting pulled too much when your trying to get into lotus or rubberguard. when i started doing lotus my ankle would bother me because i was sorta pulling my leg in more than stretching. tough to say though, i would get it checked out. ankle problems are pretty reoccurring.

Array

School
    10th pl.-Ronin
    It might perhaps have to do with the thighs as well, if they are big, there's less space, and the ankles get strained more..
    I never had problems with lotus before, but I gained muscle and fat on my thighs, now I get the occasional pains in the ankles. I blame Christmas..!

Perhaps we share a common problem.. Or it might be something else, I dunno..

yea basically if u cant do the splits ur putting a lot of bad pressure on your knee joints that'll cause a lot of damage on the future. Dont force it

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I had the same problem until I started really stretching my ankles too. At work I would roll my ankle over and put some body weight on it for about 10 seconds. Pretty uncomfortable at first but now I can stand on one foot full body weight. Not sure how other peoples bodys would handle this but mine did just fine
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Fe/Nova Uniao
    There is a lot of good information in this thread. Thanks a lot. I seem to have lost very little flexibility since my rubber guard exclusive days. But I may have lost more than it felt like. I'll keep working those stretches. Shin in chest all day at work. I better stop forcing the lotus. But we all know that 10th planet is about looking cool and different.....right?

On a different note, I want to say that Paypal requiring me to wait 3 business days to verify my credit card in order to get access to posting pictures and full access to MTS is bullshit.