Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    None
    60mm machine guns? Holy shit! lol Maybe he's talking about 60mm mortars?

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    M60 7.62mm Machine Gun - GlobalSecurity.org - Reliable ...
    The M60 is a gas-operated, air-cooled, belt-fed, automatic machine gun that fires from the open-bolt position. It has a maximum rate of fire of 550 rounds per minute.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ound/m60mg.htm - Cached

Array

School
    Are there any black people on this forum for Ron Paul and against the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
    I don't think so.

Array

School
    None
    60mm is just a tad bigger than 7.62mm... and M60 doesn't mean it's 60mm. lol

Array

School
    10th Planet
    ok the M60 gotcha. that's the one Rambo ran around with and the 20 rounds he had on the belt killed a battalions worth of guys. That indeed shoots the 7.62 Nato not any colossal 60mm. We used the 240 Golf and Bravo. never did get my hands on an m60...

Array

School
    None
    Yeah I've never seen one either. I think I know why.

"The M60 continues to be used in the 21st century by U.S. Navy SEALs and as a door gun on U.S. Army helicopters, and was the main 7.62 mm machine gun by some U.S. special operations forces to the late 1990s. As of 2005, it is used by the Coast Guard, Navy, and a some reserve units, though it is being phased out in favor of the M240 7.62 mm medium machine gun. Its use as an Army helicopter door gun will soon taper off, as an improved M240 version has been adopted for this role."

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    The reason the SEALS are still using the 60 over the 240 is because some of the newer versions of the M60 are lighter weight than the 240, maybe?

Array

School
    Was talking to a Viet Nam vet the other day. He said the M14 rifle was much
    better than the M16. He said he kept his M14 rifle when he went to Viet Nam
    because the newer lighter weight M16 would jam a lot if it got wet/muddy while
    the M14 would not jam. Sometimes new is not better.

Array

School
    10th Planet
    I believe the military dumped the M14 as the standard battle rifle because of weight and mag capacity. The biggest influence over what kind of rifles we get depends on what type of ammo it shoots. Notice many of the NATO nations service rifles fire the 5.56 and all accept the m16 magazines. At least that is what I noticed while serving overseas with other nations, British, Estonian, French, and a slew of other flags I didn't recognize all had 5.56 weapons.

I remember watching powerpoint presentations saying that we were not allowed to use hollow points or modify our ammo because it would cause unnecessary suffering. I wanted to know how our leaders justified using the 5.56 round which is barely good enough to take down small game but we expected the round to kill men. So in training we were fed bullshit lines like, the round tumbles or maiming one is better than killing him because instead of one man dying on the battlefield, it now takes 2 men to carry him and his gear so shooting and maiming one man took 3 out of the fight. I also noticed that people were bitches shooting an over powdered .22 round at stationary paper targets, how would they fare shooting a larger caliber rifle in combat? I personally think we should have the option to use something with More stopping power like a 7.62 rifle if we have proven that we can handle the 5.56 on the range and during close quarters combat training.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_C View Post
    I believe the military dumped the M14 as the standard battle rifle because of weight and mag capacity. The biggest influence over what kind of rifles we get depends on what type of ammo it shoots. Notice many of the NATO nations service rifles fire the 5.56 and all accept the m16 magazines. At least that is what I noticed while serving overseas with other nations, British, Estonian, French, and a slew of other flags I didn't recognize all had 5.56 weapons.

I remember watching powerpoint presentations saying that we were not allowed to use hollow points or modify our ammo because it would cause unnecessary suffering. I wanted to know how our leaders justified using the 5.56 round which is barely good enough to take down small game but we expected the round to kill men. So in training we were fed bullshit lines like, the round tumbles or maiming one is better than killing him because instead of one man dying on the battlefield, it now takes 2 men to carry him and his gear so shooting and maiming one man took 3 out of the fight. I also noticed that people were bitches shooting an over powdered .22 round at stationary paper targets, how would they fare shooting a larger caliber rifle in combat? I personally think we should have the option to use something with More stopping power like a 7.62 rifle if we have proven that we can handle the 5.56 on the range and during close quarters combat training.
    So Jason, you're are ex-military too? Do you use the Veteran's hospital? My cousin is ex-Marine and
    goes to the Veteran's hospital. I applied but they said I make too much money. The lady
    told me to apply again saying I have trouble with my hearing. I might apply again sometime
    in the future. Have been to the local Veteran's hospital many times with my cousin. They
    have a PX type store where you don't have to pay taxes on the goods. You don't have to
    be ex-military or military at all to buy there. Seems just most people don't know about it.
    It's like a small Target store with clothes, electronics and some food. Plus they have a
    cafeteria.

M16 Rifle - The Vietnam War
    ... but the rifle was plagued by jamming problems ... The redesigned rifle was named as the M16A1 and was shipped to Vietnam ... Weight of the M16 rifle with ...
    www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=548 - Cached

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast