Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont

What dangerous new people are thinking when they roll

What dangerous new people are thinking when they roll

Have guys ever wondered? Now we know! This beautiful work a visitor of my class produced, provides a rare look into the minds of these people (the source can be found here http://crecy.deviantart.com/art/Jujitsu-283275807 ). Here’s it is, and my “translation” of it below:
    " I hit the mat once more, rolling around in a flurry of limbs, and finally got the upper hand. Well, I was on top. To think that I had the upper hand with her was a big mistake. She grabbed the arm that I was using for support, and rolled around pulling it to her chest. She applied a little pressure to my elbow, and I tapped her shin lightly with my free hand. She released me, and we got back to our starting positions once more.

I was quickly learning Jujitsu was not my type of martial arts.
    She lunged forward, aiming to pin my shoulders, and I blocked her arms as I would a sword, which caught her by surprise. Pushing her arms to the side, I tried to grab hold of her arm, her waist, her leg, something! She wouldn't have any of it, and kept twisting away like a buttered snake. The gong rang out, and I shook her hand.

My next opponent was a tall, lithe young man. His forehead had a thin sheen of sweat, and he looked Jamaican. He was even more challenging, acting like a monkey as he rolled on his own free will, using only his legs to defend himself. I grabbed his wrist and elbow, and spun his arm behind him. He fought in a flurry of movement, and was suddenly gone. I felt an arm like a boa coming around my neck, and was powerless to stop it. I tapped gently on the arm, and the pressure released instantly.
    I tried something different, letting him come to me. He swatted his arm lazily, testing my guard, but I swiped at his arm for every attempt. I wouldn't fall for his feints. And yet, I did. He let his arm drift out again, and I parried it again, and he grabbed my arm to pull me forward. Off balance, he had little trouble moving me into a submission hold leaving me confused and sore. I tapped the mat loudly, and he let me up. We were not allowed to punch or kick, and I was feeling out of my element. This, wrestling on your knees, simply grappling, was too mundane for me. There was an elegance to it, but it was too subtle to appreciate until you experienced it.

Simply put, I was a wolf in a dog's world, and I was not alpha."

His first roll was with a female student. He shoves her to her back then stack her in guard. He then try’s to slam her 5 times (I didn’t know about this until afterword or would have stopped the roll). He gets arm-barred twice.
    Second, he rolls with me. Sadly, this is missing from the article for some reason.
    Third, he takes a break.
    Fourth, he rolls with a kick boxer that is learning grappling. Oddly, this is the person he wanted to kick and punch? He taps when he gets in the bottom of side control or mount.

Welcome to a “dog’s world”. Every one you rolled with was smaller than you. Please come back and see us, and next time don’t slam the girl or try to strike my knee repeatedly.

not that i've been doing this for years or anything but i'd say "always babysit the new guy"

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    These were all experienced people he rolled with. They were babysitting the new guy. I had 3 other new guys that day. The “girl” has 3 years’ experience and is tougher than most of the guys…

right on, not trying to tell you how to do your job here
    I've had to tell people straight up "hey that's fine in competition, but we're just training here ok?" usually for neck cranks or being a dick with crossface.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    He was ESPECIALLY rough, but the most remarkable thing is… he wrote this article… I felt compelled to respond...

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Hell ya respond. Or the female student should respond...even more epic!

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    cool. I can honestly say I was never this clueless.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Haha... that's insane.

Yeah, I learned the hard way by getting slammed by noobs and wrist jacked by a TKD black belt. Now, if I get babysitting duty I just slap double overhooks in guard, or crackhead control and drain them till they're retarded. As soon as they stack I wrangle the leg and crumble them up.

I used to think that grappling noobs was about taking it easy and refining my weaker techniques. Fuck that. That's how I got injured. Now, grappling with noobs is a process of defanging and grinding them down while working on control rather than just insta grabbing submissions. Since thin I've garnered much more respect and I've stayed uninjured.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Thats some Crazy shit.

Array

School
    NA
    i don't think this guy is a douchebag as all of you may be thinking....just completely out of his element. The ego gets in the way initially and wanting to strike is natural for people who have gone their whole lives without getting dominated. slamming the chick was a dick move... maybe make it clear that's not acceptable next time? i think people like this NEED jiu jitsu....100%. also, how was he striking your knee?? was he physically punching it? and did he only come for a free class or something?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast