Array

School
    AVK Submission Grappling

Preference with knee on belly?

I'm just curious on peoples takes on foot and leg position when you have a knee on belly. I see how Eddie likes to surf the body with his foot not touching the ground and I definately understand how that gives a person control. I like the way he does that and never thought I would because I thought I would be off balance if the person on the bottom shrimps. I'm just wondering if anyone prefers to have their foot on the ground and if so do they run into problems with a wirey guy on the bottom regaining their guard much?

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Exactly, a guy on the bottom regains quarter guard a lot if the foot is kept on the ground, and also you put more weight on them if you do it the way you describe Eddie to do it

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Looking at the position as a singular game, what are the typical objectives for the top player to retain control? Also what are the objectives of the bottom player to break the control position?

I just ask because my knee on belly sucks and it always helps me to view positions this way.

Array

School
    AVK Submission Grappling
    I used to have problems with my knee on belly as well where to control the person I got off balance a lot and had to use strength to try to keep from getting reversed. Since I have worked on a few variations the last few months I found that keepin my leg posted out with about a 90 degree bend and surfing the body instead of the foot down I have had a lot more control, and with the way Eddie shows I noticed how much easier it is to transition to a knee bar, heel hook ect...

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Any advice for knee on belly or tall, lanky people? I feel like it is way harder for me to effectively use because of my build. Not only do I feel off balance, but I also find that I just don't feel heavy on my opponent even when stable, even though the knee and other foot are the only points of contact w/ the ground

Array

School
    AVK Submission Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesRacked View Post
    Any advice for knee on belly or tall, lanky people? I feel like it is way harder for me to effectively use because of my build. Not only do I feel off balance, but I also find that I just don't feel heavy on my opponent even when stable, even though the knee and other foot are the only points of contact w/ the ground
    I used knee on belly a lot tonight I'm not really tall and lanky but one of our guys is, and I think it makes a world of difference if you put your knee almost pushing up into the other persons solar plexis. This helps keep balance and also limits their ability to move due to the location of your knee pressing into a sensitive area. Your knee is more on the upper abdominal area but the pressure of your bodyweight helps control the other person more so than your knee just horizonal on their belly. Thats just my take and preference.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    You really have to commit to being in knee on belly. You can't do it half way or it won't be enough pressure to hold them down. Also, it doesn't make as much sense in grappling as it does in MMA, because you can't punch them in the noodle. When I say commit, I don't mean stay there at all costs... I mean actually go to a full knee on belly. Don't overcommit because sometimes you might only want to stop there to get them to open up and then it's transition time.

CAVEAT: This is all a noob's opinion and one that I wouldn't stake much on.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Thanks for the advice. I rolled yesterday and I'm just finally getting my top game together - I started just rolling with friends on hardwood floors, and they are all way bigger, so my guard game is way better than my top. I passed the guards of 2 different high-level purple belts, both of whom are way bigger than me, and borderline brown! Starting to understand how to use my hips to pressure and pass. Anyway, I'll try to move to the solar plexus more. Do you keep your shin (the one with the knee on belly) perpendicular to your opponent, or do you place it diagonally? Committing is not a problem for me, but I don't yet feel comfortable with where and how exactly to commit, so it's hard to not be tentative.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    I like the knee on belly, not shin on belly. My knee is driving into their solar plexus and it is pointed as much as possible.

Array

School
    AVK Submission Grappling
    I am the same as Ryan with the knee pointed and driving into the solar plexis as much as possible as well.