Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    coconut water? hmm, that's interesting. i'll have to try it. (:

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    Neale, A lot of what your body builder friend might have been right, but there is an important other factor, like hereditary genes. If your susceptible to clogged arteries because of genes, than your fighting an uphill battle already.

On another note, I like to take a protein shake with BCAA's after working out and some during.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    I've been reading lately that the plaque/high cholesterol is a result of chronic inflammation. Also, the fact that cholesterol goes up has more to do with the cells trying to rebuild (cholesterol is essential to rebuilding cell membranes)... so it's not necessarily bad. It's just an indicator that your body is working on something bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale Hoerle View Post
    Ya see, thats my point. I dont believe butter is bad for you! Clogged arteries right? I was told by a nutritionist/body builder I trust that given my activity level and current health that plaque build-up on my artery walls is the last thing I'll ever have to worry about (Given that I keep training the way I do)

The illustrator I was given was this: 'Imagine your arteries as fire hoses... given that you push yourself and your heart rate into the stratosphere on a regular basis the PSI in your arteries is so high and your blood is rushing by so quickly that plaque cannot take "grip" on the walls... It's simply blown away!' he went on to say... 'Now on the other hand if you were overweight and sedentary butter intake could result in excessive plaque in your blood which would cling to the walls of your arteries and eventually build up, block and kill you'

As a disclaimer I would like to note that this gentleman is NOT an MD and he may be completely wrong but it made sense to me. I didn't UP my intake or consider myself as having a license to binge but I not longer fear that pat of butter on my baked potatoe.

Can anyone from an actual medical standpoint back-up or elaborate on his point... Whether right or wrong, I'm all ears. Lets be healthy, but lets not be deceived

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    I drink a bottle of Night Train after every practice.

Ordinarily yes, it tends to get a little expensive if you drink it as much as I wish I could. Alternatively, you can go with bananas as well. They do not contain as much potassium and magnesium(responsible for regulating hydration and electrolyte balance in the body) as coconut juice, but can be cheaper if you are concerned solely with re-hydration after a workout, and levels in one or two bananas after a workout can be adequate enough. On top of that they are both excellent sources of low glycemic carbohydrates.

Sorry, just sort of went on a banana rant.

THE SHIT HYDRATES SON!

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Fresh coconuts alone are a reason to live in the tropics. I drink and eat as many as I can get hold of. I had not thought of them as a recovery drink.

On butter, well, I think of it from an evolutionary standpoint. Our bodies were not designed for our lifestyle. They are designed for hunting/gathering. Bounty in the spring/summer, hard times in winter and autumn. These days, winter never comes. We live perpetually in the time of plenty. To our instincts though, energy is still king, thats what are bodies are adapted to. Thats why fat and sugar taste so wonderful. Its the taste of survival. Seeds and shit still taste like arse, but they are far more suited to our modern existence.

If your working your arse off a lot, then you need a bit of fat. Butter is uncomplicated, the worlds densest solid energy source and doesnt contain any of theose truely evil fats we have come up with. If your a couch potatoe it will kill your fat arse.

Mate of mine, who I go into the mountains with was out climbing me when I was in my early twenties and he was in his late forties. Hes an ex military guy from some secretive thing he never mentions and is seriously fit, and always has been. He caries zero excess body fat.

A couple of years ago, he was climbing a peak for a training walk and felt awful quite low down. He told himself not to be a pussy, pushed on, finished the climb, then went and saw the doctor on the way home. The doc said "well Shaun, your dead". Complete blockage of one of his arteries in his heart. He ended up having a tripple bypass. The only reason he lived is because he was so fit, the smaller veins were able to keep enough blood flow going to keep him alive.

That shit certainly opened my eyes! He put it down to a stressful life. He is back climbing mountains again now.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Check out what Weston A. Price has to say about butter... fats in general really. Everything old is new again, I guess.

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    you need to try coconut water and jelly...mmmmmmmmmmm

Array

School
    Anu Academy
    I appreciate the good insights everyone! Thank you for the feedback

You guys should try Dr. Pepper after a workout (and before too). Its smooth original taste really gets me going (no lie). After I've downed about two Dr. Peppers Im ready to run a marathon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast