Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lockdown help

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    If you are flattened out on your back with double unders, try swinging one arm fast towards do your opponent's armpit (this does not require precision, that's just the general direction) while bring your knees towards your chest (the lockdown will still be in, you are taking them off their balance point). You are trying to push them off your chest so you can roll to your hip. That's a variation of the Whip Up.

Also, try chin strapping anyone trying a Buttock Compressor. They are trying to back out of your lockdown - it's hard to move backwards when doing so drives someone's hand into your throat. Sometimes people can still manage to break open the lock down, but that's when you let go and push their head down while scooting backwards and out. I often end up in butterfly guard when I do that.

Array

School
    Family Fight Team Petrovaradin (Luta Livre)
    One more question:

I have something that is bothering me a bit recently:

Because I play lockdown a lot, a lot of my teammates have started doing something which really makes it hard for me to lock it in. If they are on both of their knees, they sort of "hide" their shin, so it's really hard for me to put the lockdown in. If you're having a hard time imagining this, if I want to lockdown their right leg, my left leg has to go over their right leg to make it a lockdown. But they sort of like turn their shin towards their butt and are almost sitting on their heel, which makes it hard to put a lockdown on. I usually have to move them or really dig that left leg in, and this works after a while, but it's really annoying. Anyone experience this as well?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusan Spica View Post
    One more question:

Because I play lockdown a lot, a lot of my teammates have started doing something which really makes it hard for me to lock it in. If they are on both of their knees, they sort of "hide" their shin, so it's really hard for me to put the lockdown in. If you're having a hard time imagining this, if I want to lockdown their right leg, my left leg has to go over their right leg to make it a lockdown. But they sort of like turn their shin towards their butt and are almost sitting on their heel, which makes it hard to put a lockdown on. I usually have to move them or really dig that left leg in, and this works after a while, but it's really annoying. Anyone experience this as well?
    I'm pretty sure "sitting on the foot" is like lockdown defense 101. I've been told that sometimes you can use your right knee to shove their leg out and grab ahold of it. So far that hasn't really worked for me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusan Spica View Post
    One more question:

Yep, they don't want to be put in the Lockdown, lol. They can triangle their legs or just tuck the foot away, they key is to hide the knee-pit too so you can't hook it. Josh Hinger won't let me get him in lockdown ever! He is notorious for this. I'd like to think I played a small part in helping him develop his lockdown defense as of late, haha! Just from trying to get him in it so many times. I've spent the past year of my life trying to catch him in the lockdown, lmao. #nosuccess

Array

School
    Academy 64 BJJ
    Lots of help here thanks guys

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I'm pretty sure "sitting on the foot" is like lockdown defense 101. I've been told that sometimes you can use your right knee to shove their leg out and grab ahold of it. So far that hasn't really worked for me.
    I know Eddie has posted in some of the MTS the black mamba/quarter clinch path (when all you have is their ankle) and trying to get the knee to the floor to get lockdown (he went over this during my Aug trip to HQ during EBI IV week "push pull lockdown!" lol). If they're doing a prayer knee stance then obv you prob gotta go to something else. One thing I've started to notice is as folks get more obsessed with stopping lockdown/electric underhooks at all costs, it opens up the opportunity for other half guard variations and sweeps (for me I've been trying to work some deep half, some semi-traditional half, and butterfly half).

If you have time and the money, look into Stephen Kesting's dvd on half guard, he goes over 3 different types and common counterattacks to halfguard people will use once they realize it's one of your go to positions (and he then shows the counter to those counters). Also Big Nog had a good book years back (guard/half guard for MMA, it's not in production anymore but you can still get a good condition copy on ebay amazon of barnes and nobles partners if you look hard enough). I use alot of Big Nog's sweeps when people try to shut down my lockdown.

The great thing about using 10th planet when you're the lone wolf is it forces people to eventually learn to counter those, and then when that happens you can go back to the "traditional" tech that everyone else already knows and learn to develop that too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123