Array

School
    cobra kai

Getting to dogfight- posting on your head vs elbow

In mastering the rubber guard, Eddie whips up onto his elbow, then transitions to dogfight. My instructor teaches us to post on our head, and under hooking the far leg to prevent the backstep. Posting on my head seems to be the safer method but feels considerably slower, guys are able to wizzer really hard and makes the sweep hard to finish. But, posting on my elbow and not under hooking the far leg allows the guy to back step, and even limp leg out.

What are your guys thoughts? What details am I missing?

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    I guess I'm not understanding exactly what you're referencing about Eddie is whipping up from to get to dogfight. What is he whipping up from? Lockdown?

Array

School
    cobra kai
    yes. he whips up from lockdown, and gets on to his elbow. from there, he goes into dogfight.

but, my instructor teaches it from 1/4 guard. leg curling the opponent's trapped leg, and posting onto your head into dogfight.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    My limited understanding is there have been many versions over it's development so it might depend what tutorial you're watching.

I stand to be corrected but in 'the perfect world' I think you get up kind of using your shoulder and 'perfect doubleunders' staying tight around your opponents waist the whole time
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    cobra kai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bruhn View Post
    My limited understanding is there have been many versions over it's development so it might depend what tutorial you're watching.

I stand to be corrected but in 'the perfect world' I think you get up kind of using your shoulder and 'perfect doubleunders' staying tight around your opponents waist the whole time
    yes, i think you're correct. i think the answer is in mts ep. 69 - polishing up the warm ups E. eddie does pretty much what you just said. s gripping around the waist, which also prevents the limp leg. that's whats been messing me up.

a bb at our school, he pretty much goes to dogfight every time and is pretty unstoppable with it. it's inspired me to work that into my game, but i'm trying to work out all the kinks.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by ml82 View Post
    In mastering the rubber guard, Eddie whips up onto his elbow, then transitions to dogfight. My instructor teaches us to post on our head, and under hooking the far leg to prevent the backstep. Posting on my head seems to be the safer method but feels considerably slower, guys are able to wizzer really hard and makes the sweep hard to finish. But, posting on my elbow and not under hooking the far leg allows the guy to back step, and even limp leg out.

What are your guys thoughts? What details am I missing?
    Dog Fight is exactly that, a dog fight. If you post on your elbow you risk getting hit with the 100% and that will shut down your half guard completely. Personally I post on my shoulder when transitioning to Dig Fight keeping that boa the entire time. If he's using a strong whizzer it may stop your half and half but look for your twist back and DPO/DPO to swim. Turn it in to a dog fight and make it dirty and grimey!
    #10thplanetFREAKS